RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running Seatools on WHS

steveowens

So HP Support thinks that the reason I am having issues with my Backup Database is that I have a corrupt disc in the DE pool that is not showing as corrupt.

All of the drives are Seagate drives. Is there a way to run a tool like Seatools on WHS to check the discs? If not Seatools, what other tools would do the job to check the discs?

Steve

yep, SpinRite. You will have to use the WHSv1 Remove Disk feature to remove the drive from the pool. Then, connect the drive (via SATA or eSATA) to a spare computer (you have one of those, right?) and boot up SpinRight. Run it at level 4. Be warned: large drives take a long time. For example, most 2TB drives seem to take around 210 hours, longer if there are real problem areas on the drive.

If the sectors are very bad that's true. But level 4 can find problems that level 2 cannot. Since the drive would be reformatted if put back into the WHS, I didn't see any harm in thoroughly checking the drive out. I do usually use level 2 for data recovery, since it doesn't put as much stress on the drive :)