RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 - why are some m4v in "video" folder not available?

creature

Hey all - banging my head on this one. Have 300 or so m4v (mp4) movies in the "video" folder of my WHS 2011, yet on my Sony BRAVIA KDL-55HX729 I can see, browse and play about half? If I browse to the the movie on the server from one of the PC/Mac/Linux machines the movie (that cannot be seen listed or played on the TV at all) plays fine? As a test going to convert from one format to another to see if they play but wonder if any of you geniuses have seen this and can give me any pointers? Have Googled this a bit and so far no joy..

TIA!

I have seen this, and I think almost everyone else on the forums has too. It's usually the format of the file inside the m4v container. I would compare one that does play to one that doesn't, using a conversion tool to tell you what it thinks they are. I'm sure others in here can offer specific suggestions.

I have a similar TV. All I can add is that Sony's DLNA deployment is flaky, at best.

That's why you cannot go past a HTPC as an audio and video player.

I didn't mention it, but I have a 60" Bravia; that's one of the reasons I've seen this issue. I basically no longer use the Bravia DLNA features because I set up a win7 HTPC, which works much better. For one thing, navigating the Sony menu system is slow and ackward. That said, you should ensure you have the TV's firmware fully updated. The issue I had with Sony's updates is that they seemed to focus on pay features instead of added functionality in the core firmware.