RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtual Box Question

joem

Can you install 64 bit OSs? I tried the new Win 8 64 bit and no go. Also tried a trial of WHS 2011 and it won't install either. Thanks. I did research this and could not find a definitive answer.

I have all the requirements, but I don't know how to do the following:

"On any host, you should enable the I/O APIC for virtual machines that you intend to use in 64-bit mode."

Thanks.

It should be in your bios somewhere. Check your Mobo manual or just reboot into bios and poke around. Look for APIC or interrupts or something like that. It might be called virtual something or another. It's been a while since if poked around with this so forgive me.

Just as a test I installed a 64bit Win7 and all went well. I will reboot my computer and have a look at the bios though. Maybe it is just something to do with With WHS 2011 and Win 8 64 bit versions. In the selector when creating the vhd there is no selection for those specific OSs. Where you have a choice of Windows 7 64 bit. I had to chose "other" for the WHS 2011 and Win 8.

Can you install 64 bit OSs? I tried the new Win 8 64 bit and no go. Also tried a trial of WHS 2011 and it won't install either. Thanks. I did research this and could not find a definitive answer.

Yes.

I loaded Oracle Virtual box on my main client (see stats in sig) and have loaded 64b OS's onto it -- including Windows 8 http://homeserversho...-work-on-win-8/

WHS 2011 loads pretty easy -- Jim Carlson has a great write-up on how he's loaded WHS 2011 into Oracle's VM http://homeservershow.com/the-drobo-review-series-windows-home-server-2.html -- I've done it several times (made a few whoops with my 1st install and I hadn't taken a snapshot so I killed it and loaded another).

I also loaded WHS V1 into Oracle's VM so I could have V1, 2011, and Win8 running at the same time.

With Win 8 I gave it 4G of Ram while I gave 2011 2G of Ram (my first 2011 I gave it 4G but I don't notice any diff with 2 G) and I gave V1 1G.

Fundamentally you'll need lots of RAM (this is the 1ts time 12G started looking tight) as well as a CPU that suport virtulization and your BIOS on th e MB supports virtulization. After that -- just have fun (virtual fun) :)

One thint that's handy is the free virtual drive from Slysoft -- makes it easy to mount an ISO of your installation disk and away you go....

Just as a test I installed a 64bit Win7 and all went well. I will reboot my computer and have a look at the bios though. Maybe it is just something to do with With WHS 2011 and Win 8 64 bit versions. In the selector when creating the vhd there is no selection for those specific OSs. Where you have a choice of Windows 7 64 bit. I had to chose "other" for the WHS 2011 and Win 8.

I went with 2008 64b for both when I was creating the environment for 2011 and Win8. I gave them all 2 CPU's.

Edited by Joe_Miner

... snip ...

WHS 2011 loads pretty easy -- Jim Carlson has a great write-up on how he's loaded WHS 2011 into Oracle's VM http://homeserversho...e-server-2.html -- I've done it several times (made a few whoops with my 1st install and I hadn't taken a snapshot so I killed it and loaded another).

... snip ...

Jim Collison not Carlson :) Sorry Jim!

Here's Jim's article I referred to: http://homeservershow.com/deploying-windows-home-server-2011-with-oracle-virtualbox-and-a-drobo-s.html

Thanks for the help. I have a machine with 24 Gigs of Ram and an i7 processor so that won't be an issue, but I did notice that Collison selected 2 processors and used the Windows Server 2008 64 bit for the OS model. I will try that. I only used the default one processor and "other" as the OS.

I was able to get it installed last night using virtual box, selecting Win764bit, 4gb of ram and two processors. One thing I notice though is you need to change the resolution of the screen from within Windows 8 so that the metro style apps work. I couldn't get I.E. 10 from within Metro to work until I upped the resolution, then it did work. I remembered reading that somewhere in the back of my head and it worked. On my comp, which has a 1080p 24" montior, it defaulted to 800x600 resolution after install.

does anyone know who to pull up that side menu thing within Metro that was show in the demo with a mouse or keyboard? I don't have any touch monitors so I can't do it they way they were doing it during the public demo last week. thanks.

I still cannot install Win 8 64 bit. I get a blue screen with the following text:

Your PC ran into a problem it can't handle and needs to restart.

You can search for the error online:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (storahic.sys)

Restart no good to fix the issue.

I have used two processors and 2048 MB of RAM and followed the install instructions per Collison. Thanks for any advise.