RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID Drive choices

krom

I'm getting ready to finally build a WHS 2011 server. I'm going to go with a RAID solution and so I will need a collection of new hard drives. Newegg has these Hitachi 3TB drives for $110:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145493&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=404255&SID=214789

Any thoughts? Should I go with a 7200 RPM or 64 MB cache choice instead? Or should I get an enterprise class drive made for RAID? Or has anyone heard anything horrible about Hitachi?

Thanks in advance for any help.

One more thing more WHS related. I'm going to put the OS on a separate small mirror. Does WHS 2011 need 160 GB on the OS drive and what's a good choice for the OS drives?

Once again thanks.

I would definitely go with 7200 RPM. I don't feel the 64 MB cache is required. You definitely don't need enterprise class drives.

Hitachi is all I bought until WD bought them. First two Hitachi drives I bought after WD bought them ber DOA. May just have been my bad luck, who knows. If you are using raid 5 it probably isn't an issue as long as you buy a spare with them.

Yes, 160 is the minimum according to MS.

Probably diffucult to find drives around 160GB...most here have used an Icy Dock with two 250GB laptop drives or similar. Most prices up to 500GB are around the same.

IIRC, there is a way to use a USB stick to make the install think it has 160GB when the drive is actually smaller. After install, you remove the USB stick and it's still OK. Anyone remember this, and maybe which thread it's in?

Here is my two

I'm getting ready to finally build a WHS 2011 server. I'm going to go with a RAID solution and so I will need a collection of new hard drives. Newegg has these Hitachi 3TB drives for $110:

http://www.newegg.co...4255&SID=214789

Any thoughts? Should I go with a 7200 RPM or 64 MB cache choice instead? Or should I get an enterprise class drive made for RAID? Or has anyone heard anything horrible about Hitachi?

Thanks in advance for any help.

One more thing more WHS related. I'm going to put the OS on a separate small mirror. Does WHS 2011 need 160 GB on the OS drive and what's a good choice for the OS drives?

Once again thanks.

Here is my two cents. I can not comment on Hitachi drives as I have never really owned one. My personal preference is WD followed by Samsung. I would not waste the money on an enterprise level drive as the only real difference is the TLER. Since I have never seen a timing problem with current day drives and a good controller, I would say save your money and put it towards a controller instead of buying enterprise drive. You did not mention what type of raid solution you are considering as that will influence which type of drive I would use. As for your comment on 7200/5400, and 64/32, I guess it will depend on what you are doing with the system and the raid type. The 7200 drives will be faster but will draw more power but I would choose that for a mirrored data drive as the performance will count. In a raid 5/10, I would just use the 5400 as the read speed of this array will be in excess of what your network will handle so other than benchmarks, the end result will not buy you much. Also since a 5/10 will have more drives, the power savings also comes into play. Hopes this helps a bit.

I'm using the Seagate 2Gb Barracuda Green drives for my raid 5 with a Dell Perc H700 raid card.

I was getting network copy speeds of 110m/b... not too bad.

Thanks for all the great input. I will be using a RAID 5 array and have a Highpoint 2680SGL that will act as my primary storage pool. I think I'm also going to go for one of the Lian-Li EX503B boxes as a backup. So with the Info. here and that being said I think I'll go for some of these Hitachi drives for my server.

Thanks again you guys always have great feedback.

I remember it but I don't feel it is worth the effort so I don't recall where it is.

BTW, what does IIRC stand for?

I've never tried the USB trick, but just wanted to mention it so he knows it exists.

And, yup, IIRC stands for If I Recall Correctly :)