RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Intimnasc

Sharing/DLNA

Intimnasc

When I buiilt my server I had 1 2TB hard drive. As I started loading things on it I realised how small that can become and in a hurry so I added 2 more 2TB hard drives. I moved my videos folder to a 2TB drive by its lonesome and use a 2TB drive for backups and a third one for all else. OK before I added the new HDDs I was able to see all my MP4 videos. I then moved the folder to a new HDD and ripped about 20 more DVD's and Blu-Rays. They are all transcoded into MP4. Only problem is I no longer see the new ones just the original 19 movies I started with. I use my Logitech Revue and DLNA to stream to my TV.

Yesterday I was screwing around with my wifes mini netbook and when I went to my server remotely (https//"myserver".homeserver.com) I can click on the videos to the right and it shows only the original 19 MP4's but if I click on folders and go to the folder it shows all of them. Anyone much smarter than me have a sugestion? Do I need to set something to rescan the folder periodically or something?

Last Night I went home from work and tried this. I logged in and turned off sharing, restarted the server, turned sharing back on, and restarted the server again and still only sees the original MP4's I had on there

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Is this WHS 2011? Are you using My Movies on your server?

cskenney

Is this WHS 2011? Are you using My Movies on your server?

It's posted in the WHS2011 section for questions and troubles.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It's posted in the WHS2011 section for questions and troubles.

One of the problems of using the "view new content" is you miss what forum it is in. Obviously I could have looked but you get out of the habit. I have heard of this issue in the past but don't recall what the issue was. I will have to search for it and see if I can find it.

cskenney

One of the problems of using the "view new content" is you miss what forum it is in. Obviously I could have looked but you get out of the habit. I have heard of this issue in the past but don't recall what the issue was. I will have to search for it and see if I can find it.

No problem. I was just trying to help the original poster out. When you jump to a topic (thread) if you scroll to the top above the title it will indicate which topics / sub-topic the post is in. But....like I said....it's not a problem.

Back to original question....here is another topic that seems similar. Maybe this will help???? http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2270-media-library-not-refreshing/

jmwills

back to the original poster, can you see the files if you log into the server and go to the folder? If so, I would try to re-apply the permissions to that folder. Right Click the Folder and Go to the Security Tab and then to the Advanced Button. On the following screen, check "replace permissions on all child objects......" hit apply>okay, and then close the original box.

Intimnasc

Sorry guys been at work and unable to check the thread. Yes this is WHS 2011 and yes I use My Movies to catalog my movies but the problem I am having seemed at first to just be tied to DLNA since I first noticed it with my Logitech Revue. Then like I said I was setting up my wifes account so she could acess the server (pray for me) when I decided to log in with her account from the https address. I went to the link on the right side of the https page and clicked videos and it showed only my original movies. But when you click on the actual files and navigate all the way to the shared folder there they are all available to her.

I have my movies set up to rip to the server and then AVA transcoder transcodes everything to MP4 for streaming and easy sharing. This all happens with no intervention from me other than placing a DVD or Blu-Ray in the tray and then removing it. If I want the better images and surround sound I just stick the actual disk in my entertainment center since the server was mainly for serving my own movies when we are traveling, storing my security camera recordings from my Logitech Alert cameras, backing up all the computers in my house, and backing up all my years of family photos.

Also guys I am new to both servers and ripping/transcoding so if any of my noobness offends anyone I apologize in advance.

I'll try that as soon as I get home jmwills.

cskenny I'll read tyhat thread as soon as I get home and fill ya'll in.

Intimnasc

OK so I finally got caught up on Honey Do's and sat down last night to try your suggestions. None of which worked though they were excellent ideas to try. Problem now is I have lost all my streaming along with all my picture and music shares. When I went to bed last night I rebuilt the HDD that has the movies on it and will check it out when I get home tonight. If that doesn't work I will probably just do a complete reinstall wit operating system and all. I've really got it honked up now. Thank you all for your efforts.

Intimnasc

I went home and thanks to the wonderful backups in WHS 2011 I was able to just restore the drive back to itself and things appear to be back to normal. Going to keep plugging away and see if I can get the original problem fixed.

ikon

Were the original 19 and the new MP4's all ripped using exactly the same process?