RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to WHS/Ripping

montiac

...So new I have yet to pull the trigger on the purchase :) I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before forking over the $$

I would like to rip DVDs/BDs using WHS. I see a lot of people using My Movies and that seams like a great solution. My question is: Do I need to have AnyDVD HD running in order to rip my BDs or does that matter? Does WHS support that program? How is this done?

Thanks for the help...I've been scouring these forums for the last couple days and haven't found a definite answer. If there is a topic on this, I'd love to be directed to it and I'll read as much as I can before posting again

Hold on to your seat your going to get alot of advice,

I'm a big fan of MM4 and yes you will need anydvdhd on server if that is where you will be ripping from

That is of course 1 of many options

I'm all about getting advice!

Is AnyDVDHD compatible with WHS? Do I need to do some sort of virtualization? (I've never done anything like that before and the task just seems too daunting)

Welcome montiac. Glad to see you here.

AnyDVD runs in/with MyMovies so anytime you put a DVD in, MyMovies uses it to do it's magic and then rips the DVD and puts it in your movies database. MyMovies will even update AnyDVD whenever an update comes out. It works seamlessly. It's pretty much install it and use it. No other mods needed. You can trial both too.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1984-methods-of-ripping-dvd-and-blu-ray/

This thread is long but provides insight into how this community rips and stores. Lots of great methods discussed.

Dave

Welcome to a fellow Alabamian! So just out of curiosity, is this your prefered method or have you also considered just ripping from a client machine to WHS? I tried out the MyMovies and AnyDVD demo when I first built my v1 WHS but I don't know...it was conevient and neat but I just didn't want to fork over the cash for the points. I did try to earn points through MyMovies but it would have taken forever to accumulate the required amount. I'm currently use DVDFab, I'm not saying it's better than AnyDVD...I just prefer it.

The main reason I moved away from the MyMovies / AnyDVD combo is that I found I didn't really need my video to be in video_ts or .iso. I just wanted the main movie without the extra junk si I just rip to an .mkv and just keep the english audio and subtitles.. I still use MyMovies on my WHS and manage it from a client pc. So whenever I rip a movie, I do it from my client pc to the appropriate folder on the WHS that I've set MyMovies to monitor. Obviously I have not written this in a way that makes sense so I hope I did not confuse you unnecessarily. Hopefully it makes sense to you.

Good luck!

Edited by texasPI

I bought the points and usually rip a "feature only" DVD on the client for backup, then WHS to rip to the

Movies folder. It's a bit duplicitious, but I have the movie without the cruff in two separate formats.

I love MyMovies on WHS, my Android phone and the iPad. Luckily years ago I bought lifetime

licenses of all the SlySoft products, but they work without fail for me.

Where you do your ripping is pretty much a non issue provided you have the network to handle the file transfers.

I run Any DVD on the server and rip to .iso. Never had a disc I could not rip.

Easy and it works.

I have been using the combination of WHS / MyMovies for quite a while and like the combination. AnyDVD is a seamless integration with MyMovies. Once it is installed it automatically updates and you just place the disk in your server and it copies.

I initally used it to backup my DVD's as my then 6 year old son was damaging DVD's whenever we went on a trip. Now that all of my DVD/BluRay rips are on the server I can stream it to any room in my house and by using the iPad it is really easy...just point at the movie and hit play. My next project is to add a Dune Player to my bedroom RV to allow viewing without building another HTPC.

Thanks for all the responses! I do believe I'll stick with the MyMovies/AnyDVD on the WHS. All the pieces and parts for my WHS and HTPC will be arriving between tomorrow and Monday - I can't wait!