RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unable to set a directory as Offline in Vista

AlexF

I have two users on WHS - mine, and wife's.
In each clinet machine (2x Windows 7 and 1x Vista) I have mounted the WHS' shared directories... All is OK.
On clinet I have set certain directories as Offline Files... For my account, no problem - Offline Files work fine (on Vista and 7).
For my wife, I have also set some of her dirctories as Offline. Works fine on Windows 7, however, I cannot get the files or directory as Offline on Vista.
I go into directory's Properties->Offline Files and tick "Always available offline", then Apply/OK.. But nothing happens! I don't get the little Sync icon attached to the directory's icon and when I select Properties->Offline Files again, I see that "Always available offline" is unticked again.
Any clues?

I assume you've tried restarting the computer? When you say "mounted the shared directories" Are you talking about mapping them as drives?

Yes, rebooted, etc. But I don't think I'd need to.. The issue is not that sync doesn't occur, but rather than my action of marking the folder as Offline is ineffective.

I guess the real issue is that I don't get any error to tell me that my Apply/OK had failed for some reason - Vista/explorer is silent.

Also, icacls is showing me the same permissions, so, it's not like my wife's folder is somehow different to mine.

I've enabled Logging for these Microsoft-Windows-OfflineFiles/Analytic, Microsoft-Windows-OfflineFiles/Debug, Microsoft-Windows-OfflineFiles/SyncLog, Microsoft-Windows-OfflineFiles/Operational but they show nothing with regards the action of marking the folder as Offline. I think they're concerned with the actions of Sync than marking the folder as Offline.

I have also verified that cscservice and csc is running.

Doesn't work with any.
(Like I said, I only have this issue on her Vista computer, she has no problems from her Windows 7 computer. But as I said, I have no problem with with Offline'ing my folders on same Vista computer).

Well blimey, that's weird. The extreme measure would be to delete your wife's user account and then recreate it from scratch. That should fix any problem with the account. Lets see if anyone has any other thoughts.

Thanks again..

Offline Files (aka. CSC) is a client feature (which explains why I don't have this issue with her folders mapped on our Windows 7 machine).
So I can't see how recreating her account on WHS would help - unless, that is, it's related to permissions, but as I said, I thought I verified these already.