RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

30" LCD Display choices

krom

Hi Everyone. I've been considering a 30" LCD recently and wanted to get some input from the community. I know the Dell U3011 gets a lot of love at BYOB central, but what about the HP Z30W? It's not as feature rich from the ports, media slots, etc. perspective but gets very good reviews in the image quality and performance arena (which I have to say is the more important of the two areas). It's also a couple hundred dollars cheaper which gives it an edge in my book. I wanted to see if anyone out there has had any experience with the HP or has any opinion on these two displays one way or the other. Thanks.

@no-control: will your 6970 handle all three or will you have to upgrade or go Crossfire? Also I'm thinking of getting a 6870 to run this. Will that give me decent gaming performance or should I go with something higher up the food chain? I already stretched the budget with the monitor but if the performance is going to be poor with a 6870 I'll strongly consider the bump up.

Thanks.

@no-control: will your 6970 handle all three or will you have to upgrade or go Crossfire? Also I'm thinking of getting a 6870 to run this. Will that give me decent gaming performance or should I go with something higher up the food chain? I already stretched the budget with the monitor but if the performance is going to be poor with a 6870 I'll strongly consider the bump up.

Thanks.

Guess you missed the "just kiddin'!" at the bottom of his post :D

Guest no-control

For a single 30" your 6870 will work and give reasonable game performance (read lower settings) I would recommend a 6970 if budget allows. While I could run 3x30" on my single card. It would suck really hard for gaming. I use a PLP setup with a 30" & 2 20" in portrait and the card has no issues. I also used a 5870 to run my triple U2410 setup. Performance was pretty good, but a second GPU would have been better.

I'm pretty much of the opinion if you want eyefinity 22" or 24" 16:10 or 16:9 you pretty much should be using dual GPUs. For 3x30" well if you spending that much on monitors GPU cost isn't really a factor. I would go a minimum of 2 high power GPUs or 3xnVidia GTX570.

• 3 months later...