Dave

Movie and TV streaming and transfer options for iPad and tablets

Dave    277
Dave

I've been getting frustrated with ZumoCast for the iPad and Windows ever since Motorola bought it. They are obviously working on Android more than iOS now which is understood but still a letdown.

With Zumo I could browse my DVD directory and my converted TV shows directory and transfer files to the iPad over Wi-Fi without having to sync with iTunes.

I used to use Air Video but the service fails to start now for some reason. Un-install, reinstall it starts but on reboots it fails.

Boxee for iPad was disappointing. Have not tried Orb yet.

I thought I would throw it out there to you guys and see what you use.

Orb, PolKast, ZumoCast, Air Video. iOS, Android, WebOS, whatever. Stream, transfer, watch live.

Go!

texasPI    6
texasPI

Weird. I've had the same issue with Air Video. I have it set to launch at login but it doesn't. I have to RDP in to start it. Good thing is I don't reboot my server too often so its a minor annoyance. Have you tried Plex? I don't believe it does convert and transfer like Air Video but it streams. That said, Plex doesn't work well for me. I installed it because they have apps for iOS and Android at $5 per. The issue is it constantly buffers no matter what I do.

thobel    1
thobel

I've been getting frustrated with ZumoCast for the iPad and Windows ever since Motorola bought it. They are obviously working on Android more than iOS now which is understood but still a letdown.

With Zumo I could browse my DVD directory and my converted TV shows directory and transfer files to the iPad over Wi-Fi without having to sync with iTunes.

I used to use Air Video but the service fails to start now for some reason. Un-install, reinstall it starts but on reboots it fails.

Boxee for iPad was disappointing. Have not tried Orb yet.

I thought I would throw it out there to you guys and see what you use.

Orb, PolKast, ZumoCast, Air Video. iOS, Android, WebOS, whatever. Stream, transfer, watch live.

Go!

I use ORb and love it however It does not have an option to "download" the media that I have seen. The web version does but that does not work with the Ipad.

r.mcadams@mchsi.com    0
r.mcadams@mchsi.com

Any updates on this, Dave? I've just started putting movies on the iPad and the "Digital Copy" method Disney uses is pretty slick... insert the digital copy disk, it opens iTunes and asks for your code.. enter it and it then copies the digital copy to itunes for synching to iPad or iPhone.

I've already ripped all my DVD's to VOB files for My Movies... is there an easy tool to convert them from VOBs in folder structure to a much smaller (the digital copies from Disney seem to be 1.5GB - 1.75GB in size) and easily get them to iPad? I'm fine with using iTunes for that last step.

Thanks!

timekills    32
timekills

I'm still a huge fan of AirVideo. Especially the latest beta, which even streams WTV (windows media center recorded TV) episodes. Granted, I have it running on a virtualized Win7 box, but it works flawlessly for me, even streaming over 3G to my iPad and from network drives, not just local files.

Andy R    0
Andy R

Hi folks,

Have a slightly related issue that hope you guys may be able to help with!

Got my new server running WHS 2011 and as it wasn't doing much most of the time I decided to use it as a media server to stream live tv from. Bought a couple of cards off of ebay but they didn't work out either due to lack of drivers (causing blue screen of death!) or not fitting as I didn't realise all PCI cards were not the same.

Have finally splashed out on elgato netstream box (satellite version - think is very simlar to the US HD Homerun?) and believeing their blurb (and of course not reading the small print) thought I would be able to get tv on my server (which I have), any other pc (yet to try) and my iPad (epic fail!). Now I have read the smallprint apparently the eyetv software will only 'serve' the tv stream to ios devices if run from a mac and not windows. :angry:

So my question is, any recomendations on software that I could ideally run on my WHS box that would allow streaming TV from the netstream box to my iPad and ideally also stream from files already saved on the server?

Thanks in advance for any iseas and help.

Andy.

yodafett    96
yodafett

I have been using Ustream. Works well nice iPhone and iPad interface. Around the house I use file browser to directly launch the app

ikon    420
ikon

Weird. I've had the same issue with Air Video. I have it set to launch at login but it doesn't. I have to RDP in to start it. Good thing is I don't reboot my server too often so its a minor annoyance. Have you tried Plex? I don't believe it does convert and transfer like Air Video but it streams. That said, Plex doesn't work well for me. I installed it because they have apps for iOS and Android at $5 per. The issue is it constantly buffers no matter what I do.

Would I be correct in thinking you placed a shortcut in Startup? If so, have you tried creating a Run At Startup Task? I've used that technique in the past when I've had a program that wouldn't start properly from Startup.

pcdoc    106
pcdoc

You need to create a task. I re-posted something I did a while back. This should take care of the problem. Hope this helps. The post contains screen shots from Server 2008R2 but other than color are the same as WHS 2011. I have used this under both and it works fine. This also works for any other program such as AlwaysSync or something else you want to run.

http://thedocsworld.net/running-air-video-on-startup/

texasPI    6
texasPI

You need to create a task. I re-posted something I did a while back. This should take care of the problem. Hope this helps. The post contains screen shots from Server 2008R2 but other than color are the same as WHS 2011. I have used this under both and it works fine. This also works for any other program such as AlwaysSync or something else you want to run.

http://thedocsworld....deo-on-startup/

Thanks Mike. So one question, do we uncheck the "kill task if it runs longer than 3 days" option?

taskv.png

Edited by texasPI