RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs rebuilt as virtual.

Hi. I am looking to rebuild my server software. currently my main os is whs, however i want to put win 2008 on, and use hyper v for my whs. although i dont see an issue running whs like this, i am worried whs will want to format all my hdd again! Does any one know how if this the case, or does it detect that the disks are currently 'owned' by whs

That's a great question. I would hope that if you are natively passing the disks, then it would see the contents. I don't know though.

I am not a 100% familiar with Hyper V, but in the VMWare environment, what you are really doing is giving the virtual server a file that it sees as a Hard Drive. The virtual server really does not have control of the HOST Server's hardware. It can only see what the Host Server is going to let it. So if you are going to setup a WHS as a virtual server then all it should see if the file that you assign for its hard drive space. Hope that makes sense...

No. Lets say you have a 500GB HD on your Host Server (this will be your 2008 HyperV Server) Then when you setup a Virtual Server on this Host Server in the configuration setting you will define hard drives. Say HD1 has 100GB and HD2 had 200GB. when you define these the Host Server allocates 2 files on the Total Space that is allocated to it(the 500GB HD). so this means that the entire WHS sever that you will setup will reside in 2 files 1 with a file size of 100GB and the second with a file size of 200 GB. This also means that your WHS server will only see the 100GB file as its HD1 and the 200GB file as its HD2, NOT the total 500GB that the host has or any other drive that the host may see.

Ok, lets use my config as the real example.

C:80GB (WHS Install)
D:400GB (shares)
E:400GB (Backup)

Now I install Windows 2008

It becomes

C:80GB (w2008 Install)
D:400GB (shares) - untouched
E:400GB (Backup) - untouched

In the Hyper V, I then install WHS and the Virtual enviorment I could configure it as

C:40GB(WHS Install)
D:400GB (shares)
E:400GB (Backup)

And I would be able to carry on where I (almost) left off?

Sorry for not fully getting this.

Not quite. Again let me preface by stating that What I am telling you is true in the VMWare environment and that I am not a 100% sure, but I am assuming that it is similar to Virtual PC by Microsoft.

You are still thinking in terms of Physical. For a Virtual Machine to see anything it has to be given to it by the host configuration.

So to see your Drive space in drive D: and Drive E: and you want to give the VM the full space (400GB for D and 400 GB for E) For this to happen the drives must be empty so that the Host can place a file the size of the each drive, causing your Drive D and E to be technically touched.

so this means that your HOST server (w2008) will have say a file called WHS-1.vmdk (vmdk is what VMWare uses W2008 will be different) in drive D that is 400GB, and then Drive E will have a file in it called WHS-2.vmdk that is also 400GB. This means that the VM will see a Dive D that is blank and a Drive E that is Blank. If the drives are not empty then you will get only what free space there is not the 400GB you want.

Not sure if I should add this part, because it might just confuse the issue. But in reality with what they call thin provisioning you can tell the host that you want 400GB even if you have on 20GB and the file will grow as you put more info into the VM.

But the data you currently have in Drive D and E cannot be seen by the WHS VM unless you do a network share to those drives and then move the files in.