RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TMT5 & Playing from whs2011

Ozpol

Hi Vinylfreak,

Well I actually upgraded from TMT5 version 87 (where the problem was identical) to version 114 with the hope that the issue will be fixed.

At least I know that the problem is probably somewhere with me. Will actually take out the media browser nad run TMT5 witihn MC7 and see how it goes. Was also thinking about replacing media browser with My Movies?? Have you had any experience with this package. I have heard "the boys" talk about this package on the podcast and sounded OK.

Cheers

Krys S

I have been using MyMovies and TMT within Media Center for over 2 years now. All three pieces have matured over the years. They work very well together. MyMovies isnt as customisable as Media Browser is, but it integrates into Media Center very nicely.

I still think it would be a good idea to see if your rips play OK just within the stand alone TMT 5 player to rule out problems with Media Browser.

I included a link to a Forum post from awhile ago I did on my setup. Its a little outdated though, I was running MyMovies 3 , TMT 5 at the time and using WHS ver1. I am currently running MyMovies 4 ,7MC - WHS 2011 and TMT 5. The functionality is basically the same.

http://homeserversho...__fromsearch__1

Edited by vinylfreak
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozpol

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Greg Welch

Hi guys, Am getting 51megabytes/sec writting and 90megabytes/sec reading through my network which would seem to indicate that this is OK. These figures were achieved using a 4Gbyte file in the netork speed tester program. (Thanks Welchworks)

Will now try to run TMT5 natively and not through media browser. The other interesting observation is that if I forward or reverse by chapters all audio and video is in synch. Problems only occur with synchronisation when ffwding and rewinding.

Shall keep you guys informed of progress.

Vinyl freak, many thanks for the video. Quite amazing hearing you in the podcast about a month ago and now talking to you guys.

Interesting that you are getting that much performance and still can not play it. the real test is can you copy a couple of movies you are having issues with to a USB drive or you hard drive and see if they play locally. I have been using TMT5 for awhile now with no issues either. What software is running on the HTPC? You might run the resource monitor while you are trying to play to see what the CPU usage is.

Hi guys, Well, wife was out all day so had time to play with the HTPC and my streaming problem.

Have checked everything, played back via the server, still stuttering on fwd and rev. Brought the server next to the PC but still the same problem. Played through the original disc and also the same problem. Eventually managed to lacate the problem.

I have the HTPC connected to a Samsung TV via a HDMI cable while the sound goes through the onboard spdif optical output to an older Onkyo amplifier. If I configure the sound to go through the HDMI and listen through the samsung TV the problem goes away.

So anyway, I now know that the onboard realtek spdif output is the problem. How to find a solution.

Hope that this helps somebody. As soon as I find a solution will also post this.

Many thanks to all for help.

Hi guys, Well, wife was out all day so had time to play with the HTPC and my streaming problem.

Have checked everything, played back via the server, still stuttering on fwd and rev. Brought the server next to the PC but still the same problem. Played through the original disc and also the same problem. Eventually managed to lacate the problem.

I have the HTPC connected to a Samsung TV via a HDMI cable while the sound goes through the onboard spdif optical output to an older Onkyo amplifier. If I configure the sound to go through the HDMI and listen through the samsung TV the problem goes away.

So anyway, I now know that the onboard realtek spdif output is the problem. How to find a solution.

Hope that this helps somebody. As soon as I find a solution will also post this.

Many thanks to all for help.

Not sure if you can do this, but I have my HTPC HDMI OUT connected to one of the 3 HDMI IN ports on my Onkyo. The HDMI OUT from the Onkyo goes to the TV. At one time, I had the SPDiF OUT from the TV going to my receiver, but I can't recall if that was the old Sony receiver or the new Onkyo. I will check when I get back home. In any case, I have the TV set to use external speakers, so it sends the audio out the SPDiF instead of its own speakers.

Hi Ikon, thanks for your reply.

My main problem is that the Gigabyte motherboard uses a Realtek audio chip to get the onboard optical spdif running and TMT5 does not support realtek audio chips.

My Onkyo amp is rather old and does not have a HDMI input. Was thinking about coming out of the TV and into the Onkyo, but the TV output will only give a stereo signal, so this will not work.

I have been living with this problem for a while and want to fix it as cheaply as possible and to get the WAF up :-)

Thanks

Krys S

Am thinking about getting an Asus Xonar DS sound card but want to establish if TMT5 will play nicely with it.

Hi Ikon, thanks for your reply.

My main problem is that the Gigabyte motherboard uses a Realtek audio chip to get the onboard optical spdif running and TMT5 does not support realtek audio chips.

My Onkyo amp is rather old and does not have a HDMI input. Was thinking about coming out of the TV and into the Onkyo, but the TV output will only give a stereo signal, so this will not work.

I have been living with this problem for a while and want to fix it as cheaply as possible and to get the WAF up :-)

Thanks

Krys S

Am thinking about getting an Asus Xonar DS sound card but want to establish if TMT5 will play nicely with it.

In my current version of my HTPC I am running a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 MB. I also am running a Asus Xonar D2X sound card. I have owned this Xonar card for almost 4years now. I have run it on an older ver Gigabyte and an even older version (939) Asus MB with no problems. As I have stated before I run MyMovies with TMT5. TMT5 likes the Xonar card just fine. I pump all my audio through my Xonar D2X, It is connected to my Onkyo SR608 through an optical toslink .The sound quality for Music playback is absolutely stunning! Actually it does a fantastic job at whatever you throw at it. With the Dolby Digital Live functionality on the Xonar chipset it converts all audio into Dolby Digital sound.

The only time I don't put my audio signal through my Xonar card is when I'm watching a Blu Ray rip that is encoded with DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD. The Xonar cannot play these formats back. For the High Def Audio codecs I just switch to the on board HDMI connection and it works just fine. It is however a little annoying to have to go into Sound control panel and switch inputs.

I have never used the Asus Xonar DS,but I don't know why it wouldn't work with TMT5.

I posted a link to the specs of the Xonar D2x. Its an older card but I've seen it on NewEgg and Amazon.

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_D2X/

There should not be a difference between HDMI and Optical unless it is configured to run both at the same time. If you are running toslink, make sure you kill the HDMI sound device. It may help the issue. Although a more expensive way, you might look a for sale on a slightly new Onkyo and use HDMI for everything including using it as a switcher. Might be better money spent in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...
thepregnantgod

I have a very nearly identical setup. I was also having stuttering problems in TMT5 despite 50+MB network speed.

Turns out on my Win7x64 HTPC there is a default network throttle in the registry (read here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066) -

I tweaked my registry to 70 and - no problems since. I can stream easily, no stuttering, smooth playback.

Hope it works.