RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TMT5 & Playing from whs2011

Ozpol

Hi Guys,

I have just finished building my whs2011 and have connected the HTPC to the server.

One of the things that I want to do is to play all of my blurays, DVDs etc from the server. The DVDs work well but with Blu Rays I am struggling.

I am running Total Media Theatre 5 latest patch 114. I have about 3 drives on the whs with movies and have mapped these in my HTPC. Most of the movies are in file/folder structure with 3D Blu Rays in iso.

I am using Media Browser as the front end for my movies in the HTPC.

Generally once playing, everything is fine, but when I am FWDing or Rewinding and then press play, the audio is way out of synch with the video and TMT5 usually stops the video (still picture displayed) and keeps playing the audio until the two have "caught up to each other". Have tried a lot of things but cannot get this fixed. TMT3 works without a problem. At the moment seems as if I have wasted my money with TMT5.

Guys any ideas would be very very greatfully accepted.

Just some info on the Hardware:

SERVER

Gigabyte H67MA-USB3

core i3-2100

8Gb RAM

8 disk without any Raid

HTPC

corei3

4Gb RAM

Gigabit LAN (connected to server with cable)

Many thanks in advance

Krys S

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozpol

• pcdoc

• ikon

• thepregnantgod

I stream iso and folder/vob's from WHS 2011 to my HTPC WMC/TMT5 with no problems,

might you be willing to try just windows media center and TMT5 first then add in media browswer later

also how are you sending your audio to the speaker, thru amp ,hdmi,

Edited by welchwerks

I agree with Welchworks to remove any variables, but I would also check you network speed. You need 20-30 megs/sec to stream BD. Try to reproduce the problem off of a USB drive attached to the media center if it works off of a USB drive, then your issue is in the network/server. Sub level performacne of network/server is the reason for this issue and based on your hardware you should fly through blu-ray. I ran this exact setup for about a month with no issues at all. My "guess" is something is bogging down you server or network. Also, base on a recent issue I had, what add-ins are you running?

I would do what pcdoc suggests, but I do find it interesting that it works fine with TMT3, but not TMT5. I seem to recall other posts where people said they had issues with TMT5. You might want to search for them.

Edited by ikon

When you say connected to the server by a cable? Through a switch ,hub cross over. Cat 5e ,6

I agree throughput should be checked

Hi Guys, It is Tuesday morning here in Australia so just about to head off to work.

Many thanks for the replies and will try the suggestions tonight.

My network is gigabit, running through 2 x TP-Link switches. One of the switches is located very close to the server, the 2nd switch is located very close to the HTPC and switches the network between the HTPC and a logitech squeezebox player. I have an intel NIC in the HTPC and have the onboard realtek NIC on the server.

I have the HTPC connected to my Onkyo amp through an optical SPDF connection and to the TV via HDMI.

I built this server about 1 month ago and it replaced an AMD 5050e based whs2011. Had the same problem with that setup which would seem to indicate that it may not be the server but somewhere further down the line.

Guys I really appreciate the suggestions and confirmation that at least one person has had this sort of setup running without any issues.

Will investigate further and let you guys know.

Cheers

Krys S

Sorry guys, after rereading the above replies I have not answered all of the questions.

I only have one addin which is lights out. I am very fussy with what is running on the server and also try to keep the power requirements of the server to a minimum. Have started playing around with My Movies on my test server and this looks good.

The network is running a cat5 cable between the switch near the server and the switch near the HTPC. The network properties sdays that it is connected at Gigabit speeds.

Krys S

How do your Blu Ray rips play outside of Media Browser. Try to play them just within the TMT5 software and see if you have the same experiences.

It could be some "Wonkyness" within Media Browser.

That being said I have seen some forum posts at ArcSoft with people having various problems with the 114 patch for TMT5. I am currently using it within MC7 streaming Blu Ray rips from my WHS 2011 box without issue.

You could always rev back to an earlier build of TMT 5 and see if that solves your problem.

Hi Vinylfreak,

Well I actually upgraded from TMT5 version 87 (where the problem was identical) to version 114 with the hope that the issue will be fixed.

At least I know that the problem is probably somewhere with me. Will actually take out the media browser nad run TMT5 witihn MC7 and see how it goes. Was also thinking about replacing media browser with My Movies?? Have you had any experience with this package. I have heard "the boys" talk about this package on the podcast and sounded OK.

Cheers

Krys S

I agree with Welchworks to remove any variables, but I would also check you network speed. You need 20-30 megs/sec to stream BD. Try to reproduce the problem off of a USB drive attached to the media center if it works off of a USB drive,

i left the i agree with welchwerks in, it has i nice ring,

network speed test, try http://download.cnet.com/LAN-Speed-Test/3000-2085_4-10908738.html