RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2011 in VM on top of Win7

Joe_Miner

Thanks to Jim, Rich, Mike, Andrew & others encouragement I downloaded Virtual Box last night -- up to now I had only been using Windows Virtual Machine -- WVM only handles 32 bit OS's and I've used it to load WVM's of XP-pro and WHS-V1 -- I use XP-Pro to run legacy programs tht don't run under Win7 and the WHS-V1 is sort of a test platform where I can screw things up without harming my production version :).

Ive now loaded WHS-2011 into a VM in VB session while trying to speed read the manual -- sure wish it would rain today so I could stay in and play!

I had some issues intially with trying to see the folders in 2011 from my clients and trying to find the printer from 2011.

The problem I believe was the NAT network adaptor or "Network Address Translation" adaptor that according to the manual is good for 95% of the cases but the effect of the NAT is to put the VM onto a different subnet away from all of my other stuff.

Under the VM Manager when I set the network adaptor from a NAT to a Bridged Network I could see the printer finally and my clientmachines can see the server folders.

Any clue on what the Promiscous Mode is all about? I see 1. Deny 2. Allow VMs 3. Allow All

Under Allow All I installed the printer on to the Server

I also got to where I could download the connector for 2011 but was thinking that I am going to nave to go bacn to my V1 and unistall the KB9810089 first then remove my v1 connector then install the 2011 connector then reinstall the v1 conne3ctor -- is that correct? any way around all that monkeying around?

I think I need to look into (i.e. read up ) on the snapshot function before I get too far.

Edited by Joe_Miner

The NIC would have to be in Bridged Mode for all network resources to be "easily" shared. The Bridged Mode puts that device on the same subnet as the host machine.

Promiscous Mode is usally used to correct some sort of network connectivity issue. It would not come inot play in this scenario.

I also got to where I could download the connector for 2011 but was thinking that I am going to nave to go bacn to my V1 and unistall the KB9810089 first then remove my v1 connector then install the 2011 connector then reinstall the v1 conne3ctor -- is that correct?

Sounds right to me.

Edited by ikon