Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems playing ripped DVDs


Noland
 Share

Recommended Posts

Neither my HTPC with Win 7 Media Center, nor my Windows 7 desktop, will play some ripped DVDs. I would say that about 80% of my ripped DVDs will work fine, but the other 20% will not. Some will attempt to play and then freeze, and others will not start at all. I also have some that will play but they can not be paused, fast-forwrded etc without messing up.

 

I use AnyDVDHD to rip them and I keep them on a WHS2011 machine. If I then convert them to another format with Handbrake, or any other similar program they will work fine, but the video TS folders will just not work for me for certain movies.

 

Any one else have this problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so you have tried playing both local and shared Movie with the same result ?

 

also which anydvd rip option do you use iso or folder for your DVD ?

Edited by welchwerks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have everything ripped to folders.

 

I can't try the htpc at the moment, but I tried a movie that I always have trouble with, and on my on my desktop PC I can play the local copy but not the copy on the server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

can you connect to the server from your desktop and go to the share the movies are in ?

 

can you connect to the server from your htpc and go to the share the movies are in ?

 

 

kinda the same thing but then check your user permissions from server to desktop and server to htpc , so as to eliminate that possibility

Edited by welchwerks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can connect to the shared folder fine. I can even play most of the movies in that folder. Later when I have the machines to myself I will redo all of the permissions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the permissions is verified reboot, then rerip both a movie you no works and one of the troubled ones and attempt to connect to it from both HTPC and your desktop, you have nothing but time right :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you bench marked you network? The problem you are describing and based on being able to play locally points to a network issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...