RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do I determine how long each "Client Computer Backup" takes

tinkererguy

tinkererguy

Anybody find an easy way to determine how long each "Client Computer Backup" takes?

I know it was apparent in WHSv1, but in WHS2011 (or the roughly equivalent that I'm using, WSS2008R2E (Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials)), the info doesn't seem to be obvious or there at all, see screenshots below.

Came up dry searching the internet for answers. And I'm not even spotting a trace of useful info in the server's "Windows Logs" either, as a workaround. So I figured I'd just ask if see if somebody figured this out already. There may be something in the logs of the clients, but I'm seeking a server side way of quickly looking this backup time for each PC.

Getting into the pipe-dream category of brainstorming here (an Add-in that doesn't exist), even better would be a way to visualize:

• the total maximum capacity of storage on that client
  • how much of that storage was data that was backed up
  • how much of that data had changed since the previous backup (the delta), which should correlate with the backup time

This would sure make troubleshooting backup issues, or just comparisons win v1 speeds, a whole lot easier.

Meanwhile, I can say I'm getting much improved backup times when I manually do a backup from a client PC and watch status (the good old informal manual stopwatch benchmark). The Home Server Status application makes that easier. But haven't done a direct WHSv1 to WHS2011 backup speed comparison with the same hardware quite yet, to compare with more certainty.

Thanks for any and all info you may have!

Computer%20Backups%20Properties%20WHS2011.png]

Computer%20Backups%20Properties%20WHSv1.png

Edited by tinkererguy
  • 2 weeks later...
tinkererguy

Crickets!

Oh well, I tried, guess I'm very near the only one that wonders about this, not like it's the first time ;-)

Edited by tinkererguy
duanealleman

I have wondered about this as well. I will try to find some time to investigate a little further and let you know what I find. I agree this would be an awesome addin!

• 3 weeks later...
tinkererguy

I have wondered about this as well. I will try to find some time to investigate a little further and let you know what I find. I agree this would be an awesome addin!

In this video:

I answer my own question as to how to determine backup time, but it silly: take the difference between the Backup UI's listed start time, and the time listed on the last file-written to the PC backups folder.

Yes, this is begging for an add-in! Was hoping to see more folks expressing interest here frankly!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Lets assume there was something that told you. What would you do with the information? Does it impact your day to day activities somehow?