RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Free space is low in Server Backup

Technogod

The Server Backup hard disk has less than 10% of free space.

I thought Server Backup would automatically delete the oldest backups to free up disk space. According to the message I must replace the hard disk.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else had this issue? This does not seem as good as the old backups in WHS V1. Suddenly my backup disk is showing critical and running low on space. I assumed that the old backups would be remoeved after one month and I tried to delete some of the old backups myself without any luck.

What is everone doing in regards to their "backup" disk?

I just noticed the same problem with my WHS2011. I have 4 PC's being backed up. I had 1.5 TB dedicated to backups. I need to examine the storage on the 4 machines, but last month I had 200+GB free and the backups had ben running for several weeks already, and I thought the backup did a differential on the files. I guess I may have to look at using Raid 5 because I do not think that buying a 2TB drive will buy me much more true space at this rate.

My Current setup:

hardware:

Gigabyte MOBO with Intel i860

16 GB RAM

My WHS 2011 is running in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

2 Processors dedicated

2 GB Memory (dynamic, max expanded to 8)

base OS install on physical disk

3 - 1.5 TB phyiscal drives (in pass thru mode to the VM)

Runing great so far, other than the storage hit right now.

I was going to RAID 2 WD 1.5 Green drive (5400 RPM) and a Seagate 1.5 Green drive (5900 RPM). I am not sure if running green drives in a raid will matter as much as an RPM difference in the drives, if there is any issue at all with either of these.

Anyone have thougths about using these drives in a RAID 5?

Thanks ikon. I will have to check into that. I plan to use a SanDigital tower raid (4 bay device). So I wll see what the options are with the card that comes with it.

It's not really a function of the card, as far as I know. WD makes their own, called WDTLER. Seagate's version is called ERC. I'm not sure if Seagate makes their own utility, but there is a utility called HDAT2 that make work.

• 1 month later...

we've been using todo backup server for a long time. it offers full, incremental, and differential backup.

we usually set up a daily backup schedule, and save three versions of the images, which means that the software automatically delete the old images to save space.

a specific file can also be restored in Windows explorer from a folder or partition backup image.

maybe u can try this one

we've been using todo backup server for a long time. it offers full, incremental, and differential backup.

we usually set up a daily backup schedule, and save three versions of the images, which means that the software automatically delete the old images to save space.

a specific file can also be restored in Windows explorer from a folder or partition backup image.

maybe u can try this one

At $199 for the software? Sorry, that's not a price that I could justify to financial control for backup software for a Home server...

Edited by gcoupe

At $199 for the software? Sorry, that's not a price that I could justify to financial control for backup software for a Home server...

well, compared with other software, this price is much cheaper.

but u can ask them to give u a discount, or u can google some discount code.

i googled this one, u can try it.

EASE-0QBD-US ^_^