RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WDTV Live

Mr Bill

Good day,

I have a WDTV Live unit and it works great. My only complaint on the unit is that the user interface GUI is very bland. I was looking on the web and found that there is aftermarket custom firmware for these units.

My question, is anyone using non-stock firmware on their WDTV Live?

If so, what are your thoughts, recommendations, cautions, and such.

Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Mr. Bill

Good day,

I have a WDTV Live unit and it works great. My only complaint on the unit is that the user interface GUI is very bland. I was looking on the web and found that there is aftermarket custom firmware for these units.

My question, is anyone using non-stock firmware on their WDTV Live?

If so, what are your thoughts, recommendations, cautions, and such.

Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Mr. Bill

hmmm, this could make the unit more interesting for sure.

Yes, I've run a non-stock for about 14 months. Definitely improves the visual quality although I've had a homebrew on it for so long now I don't even recall what the default looks or works like.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you had problems with shares being unreachable? My unit worked great for months then all of the sudden I can't see my shares. Its really weird.

By default, the WDTV will use the guest account. So make sure that those shares on the server have the permissions set to guest as read. This should be when you search for files using the Network Shares option on the WDTV.

If you searching using the Media Server option on the WDTV then you have to have a DLNA compliant server like Twonky running on the server and the shares are added to Twonky or you could use the built in Window Media Connect server on WHSv1.

Make sure that in the Console under Settings tab, then Media Sharing, and check that the 3 radio buttons are set to ON.

Are you using WHS version 1 ?

• 2 years later...

Just for the heck of it, I installed the WDLXTV firmware. Meh, the interface is still very clunky to navigate (the reason I stopped using in the first place). I think I'll stick to my HTPC.

We have three WDTV Live SMPs gathering dust. The UI responsiveness and overall stability is just so bad it ruins everything. The only good thing going for it is that it can play virtually any file without a need for a transcoding server backend.

All has been replaced with Roku 3's and a Plex media server backend. My folks (already in their 60s) are particularly happy with the change. WDTV Live was a chore for them to use.

LOL! Excusez moi, monsieur.

Allow me to put it another way... They're a couple of retired, non-techie senior citizens that gets annoyed when the subtitles are so much as a few tenths of a second off their mark. :)

WDTV Live's would occasionally crash, fail to find the server, or just freeze for no apparent reason. They would have none of that.

Different strokes for different folks I guess... no pun intended.

• Like 1