RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Time wrong in VMWare Player running on WHS2011?

Sorta Oldguy

I've got an HDHomerun Tuner and have tried several combinations of running WHS 2011 and Windows 7 which uses the tuners to record TV, including running both WHS and Winu7 as virtual machines under HyperV, but it had various drawbacks.

I finally settled on running WHS 2011 as the host with Win7 running within VMWare Player 3.1.4. It really wasn't that hard to get this to work and it's been running smoothly. Win7 uses the tuners to record and archive the programs into the WHS Recorded TV folder. I even have been using AnyDVD, CloneDVD and Handbrake installed directly on the WHS system to rip both my commercial DVD's and the those recorded over a decade on my old Panasonic DVD recorder. The WHS is just idling most of the time and I figured there was less chance of interference with the TV tuner recording if I did this directly on the WHS. It all works very well, EXECPT.

that I haven't been watching the recorded shows lately and discovered last night that the clock on the Windows 7 VM is 2 hours ahead of the real time shown on the WHS and is recording at the wrong times. I have tried everething I could think of to correct it but have not been able to fix it. Changed the time server that Win7 syncs to, tried turning off the time server sync, tried disabling the MCE scheduler and any other thing I could think of, but every time I set it to the correct time, withing 5 minutes it reverts to the time 2 hours ahead of where it should be. I even tried changing the time zone to Pacific time from Central, in the Win7 VM, but MCE then thinks it is in that time zone and still records at the wrong time.

I also tried turning on time sync with the host by the Win7 VM using VMWare tools, but this had 0 effect.

While I managed to puzzle my way through the install of all the VM, I can't claim much expertise. Haw anyone seen this type of problem before? And what is the fix?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• timekills

• Sorta Oldguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The image for the VM was a new intall of Win7 Ultimate from my Technet Subscription.

Just to make sure of no-control's question about shutting down and restarting the VMware player, I shut down the VM, exited the player and then shut down the whole server, turning off the power switch at the power supply for about a minute. When I brought everything back up, nothing had changed.

This is where it gets a little wierder, or maybe not if you know VMware, I restarted the VM and before it started loading windows again, I hit F2 and went into the virtual bios. The clock of the virtual bios was 2 hours fast. I felt pretty stupid for not having looked at that earlier. I set it to the correct time, accepted the changes and let windows load up. The clock had the correct time :) But my joy was premature; a couple of minutes later the clock flipped ahead two hours. I guess the guys around here have been fooling with computers long enough know that frustrated feeling I had. So I told Windows to restart, went back into the virtual bios and found that the clock was set two hours ahead again. Tried this a couple of times with the same result.

So, I guess the question is now: Is windows doing something to change the bios time, or is VMware doing it? And how is it doing it..

I do appreciate the answers.

I didn't notice one, but will look. It seemed to just have a 24 hour clock.

I did a little more research after the last post and found that Windows can change the bios clock. Maybe something going on there. Just adds another variable.

Despite my old hacker mentality of getting it to work however long it takes, at this point I'm about ready to just do a reinstall. I tried finding an old backup of the VM, but it looks like I didn't back it up right away. The oldest backup had the same problem.

Not happy that's I've wasted one of my activations on it.

If I do reinstall and it's the same environment, will the activation be counted again?

Any OS can adjust the PC's internal clock. I don't image that helps much.

Out of curiosity, I believe there was a recent DST patch as well, although I can only find the one that applies to Egypt and Morocco, but I swear it was installed to my home PCs within the past month. Shouldn't cause a two hour change anyway...unless you're in a state that doesn't follow DST, then it might be...wait...no...now my head hurts.

Also, you only have the one virtual OS, correct?

Any OS can adjust the PC's internal clock. I don't image that helps much.

Out of curiosity, I believe there was a recent DST patch as well, although I can only find the one that applies to Egypt and Morocco, but I swear it was installed to my home PCs within the past month. Shouldn't cause a two hour change anyway...unless you're in a state that doesn't follow DST, then it might be...wait...no...now my head hurts.

Also, you only have the one virtual OS, correct?

Yep, only the one VM running inside WHS 2011. I was just sitting here in my easy chair trying to get WHS to create another VM to try another install to see if that works better. Hate to do it as setting up all the channels for he HDHomeRun was a PITA.

Edited by Sorta Oldguy

Well, the good news is if you have the HDHR still running on one system, after you run the WM Sync program it should pick up most of the channels you already had automatically again. You'll have to go through the whole scan deal, but shouldn't have to reprogram them in WMC.