RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Access Configuration Issues

miggab

I have an office in a building and do not have access to the router in order to configure the upnp for remote access. Is there a way to configure my Home Server for remote access what that in mind? All I have is the 192.168.X.X address they gave me.

Just throw Live Mesh on there and call it a day :wink:
Without being able to forward a port, there's no easy way to use the built-in remote access.

PS, the point of UPnP is that you don't have to configure access, since it does it automatically. So if the router doesn't have UPnP turned on (which very few commercial networks will, or even don't have equipment that support it) that's when you'd need to configure port forwarding, which you apparently don't have access to do.

Thanks for the replay usacomp2k3. Not exactly what I was looking to hear, but your input was very much appreciated. I wonder if, since it is a small office building, I could get the admin the assign a static address to the box and forward ports. Hmmmm...

As usacomp2k3 suggests, try LiveMesh. You will probably like it better. Then if you don't you can go the route of the admin. Good luck either way.