RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What Raid controller are people using for 2011?

Zed

Hi - looking to upgrade whs v1 to 2011 . Thanks to voltage spike last year insurance replaced my server MB and CPU - so I have, i5 650, 4GB ram in Asus P7H55 MB with a single free x16 PCIe slot. I have 5x 2TB Samsung drives plus a 300G Seagate with the OS. What Raid controller card is recommended - Raid 5 seems to me to be the best alternative to replace drive extender? Please let me know what is the best option - not looking for huge performance more cost driven. . Also want to expand storage with additional 2TB drives. Use whs for PC back up (duplicated), photo storage (duplicated), records and docs (duplicated) and serving video/movies to htpc - relatively simple use. Any advice appreciated thanks Chris

Make sure you check out the related posts section on the bottom of his message. I pretty much have followed the lead of pcdoc...using the Icy Dock with two drives for the WHS 2011 software and a RAID 5 array using the Rocket Raid 2680 for my DVD rips.

Hi - looking to upgrade whs v1 to 2011 . Thanks to voltage spike last year insurance replaced my server MB and CPU - so I have, i5 650, 4GB ram in Asus P7H55 MB with a single free x16 PCIe slot. I have 5x 2TB Samsung drives plus a 300G Seagate with the OS. What Raid controller card is recommended - Raid 5 seems to me to be the best alternative to replace drive extender? Please let me know what is the best option - not looking for huge performance more cost driven. . Also want to expand storage with additional 2TB drives. Use whs for PC back up (duplicated), photo storage (duplicated), records and docs (duplicated) and serving video/movies to htpc - relatively simple use. Any advice appreciated thanks Chris

Hi Zed,

As JediTim, I use a HighPoint card mine is a RocketRaid 2760. I would stick with RocketRaid becouse of the price/performance is very good and they do a great job.

I went with the lsi 9260 I was looking for something with ROC raid on card and option of battery backup also a cachecade option for increasing raid speeds. Yes cost really sucks but options are cool

I normally use the IcyDock to mirror the OS. However, I'm currently waiting on an RMA for a broken latch. The IcyDock works great however. I use the RocketRaid 2640X4SGL for my RAID 5 array, but wish I had went for the 2680 as it can support more drives than the the one I have.

I went with the lsi 9260 I was looking for something with ROC raid on card and option of battery backup also a cachecade option for increasing raid speeds. Yes cost really sucks but options are cool

I'm with Welchwerks on the LSI. I have the LSI 9240-8i with 5x2 tb as raid 5 for storage and 2x1 tb for server & client backups. It is pricy but I love the card. The MegaRaid software just needs a way to put it in as an WHS Addin. :)

Deepthought, my WHS 2011 box, is running an LSI 9280-24i4 with 18 2TB seagate drives in a RAID 50 configuration, with two global hot spares. As Brad says, it was pricey, but it does the job with class.

Matt

I put my WHS 2011 system into service this weekend after several months of testing using the following configuration:

MSI 790FX motherboard (recycled from my old desktop)

2 x WD VelociRaptor 300MB drives in a RAID 1 (recycled drives)

4 x WD RE4 1TB drives in a RAID 10 for a total of 2TB storage (bought for this project)

3 x WD EARS 2TB drives in an external USB3 dock and rotated for server backup (recycled from my WHS V1 backup)

LIAN LI PC-V1020B case (a pricy but versatile and great looking case)

gallery_825_7_292563.jpg

For the OS, like many of you, I had originally planned to use the IcyDock RAID solution with 2 Seagate 500MB hybrid drives and went so far as to build up one. But when I found that my motherboard had an onboard JMicron controller on it already, I decided to try a couple of spare VelociRaptors and found that, not surprisingly, the mirrored VelociRaptors had better performance (faster boot times for the most part) than the mirrored 2.5 inch notebook drives. After the install I expanded the OS to use the full 300GB of the VelociRaptor mirror.

The 2TB data drive is built using the AMD onboard RAID solution, setup for RAID 10. There is a pretty decent supplied software tool for configuring and maintaining the RAID included with the AMD RAID driver. My storage requirements are small and with the 2TB backup limitation there was no need for me to go beyond 2TB. RAID 10 offered slightly better performance over RAID 5 as it is less demanding on the controller. To test recoverability, I successfully moved the RAID 10 drive to a different AMD based motherboard with no loss of data.

The WHS 2011 setup disk supported both the JMicron and AMD RAID right out of the box, requiring no additional drivers, though I did update everything to the most recent drivers following the installation. The system is on a UPS allowing me to disable buffer flushing which provides additional write performance. Overall performance is excellent, easily exceeding that of my WHS V1 system, and I am very pleased with the result.