RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 - Software RAID 5 ReSync'ing

c0op3r

I have slowly been migrating my files over to my WHS2011 box from my WHS (version 1 box). I built the WHS2011 box on a Core i7 with 8GB of RAM and 7 HDs [1] 250GB Seagate for the OS, 6 WD 2TB Green Drives for the Data Storage & [1] open port for expansion or Hot-Swap to help with the data migration.

I configured the [6] 2TB Drive in a single RAID 5 Configuration using the WHS/Server 2008R2 Software RAID, the system has about 40 hours of total run-time on it (not all at once) and the RAID array is still showing ReSyncing.

Mind it is all working perfectly, and I have added about 2TB of data to the unit over that 40 hours of run time, I know that software RAIDs are not as fast, but really 40 hours?

Any Ideas?

Cooper

An array that size using the MB connectors will take about 90-100 hours and good luck if you loose power or get an accidental shut down. Before you get to far, do yourself a big favor and go get a card. Do not try and manage a RAID that large using your OS. Every time something goes wrong, it will repeat this process from the beginning. IF you want to do it right, then get a card, it will be the best $100 you ever spent.

variation of the same question

3 x 2TB drive array on a Atom MB how long a resync time am I looking at? I assume its best to let this complete before moving files to the array as well

what Raid card would you recommend? if my use of WHS grows I will replace the motherboard but this set up worked just fine as linux based server.....

I would assume 40 - 50 hours for resync. Best to let it complete? Yes. Files copied over during resync may not be fully RAID5 protected. But, many people do copy over during resync. Just make sure you have backup.

Edited by ikon

• 5 weeks later...

An array that size using the MB connectors will take about 90-100 hours and good luck if you loose power or get an accidental shut down. Before you get to far, do yourself a big favor and go get a card. Do not try and manage a RAID that large using your OS. Every time something goes wrong, it will repeat this process from the beginning. IF you want to do it right, then get a card, it will be the best $100 you ever spent.

I am on a budget. Would you recommend the SYBA PEX-40016 card for this? 5 x 2TB Seagate drives.

Thanks