RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 VAIL Automatic Reboots

joemama613

Okay, I did not listen to the warnings, but can anyone still save me. My Vail expired, and I still have information on there that I need. I even bought the new version, and I tried using the product key from there to reactivate, and it said the key appears to be invalid. Any way to put off the reboots, at least until i get the data off?

If it's just data you need can't you just connect the data drive(s) to another system and pull off the data?

BTW, where is your backup?

Also, if the data is on a partition other than the boot, why not just install a valid 2011 and let it access the data?

Anyone, am I crazy? Seems ot me this is not a difficult problem really.

My backups are on a Raid array as a separate drive letter. I see "data" in a folder called Client Computer Backups, but all files are *.DAT files, and I do not know what to do with those. Your third suggestion sounds interesting, and I even bought and own a valid version of 2011. I tried taking the easy way out, and replacing the VAIL RC product key with the valid one, but windows activation did not like that for some reason. But I guess i can wipe out the boot drive, and install the good version, and then HOPE that the data can be accessed. I have a new problem as well, the computer whose data I need is no longer a client computer, however, when I click on that computer, it used to show me all the backup sets available to me. However, now, it shows "No Backups Available". Is that also a function of the expiration of the software? HELP!!!

The RAID array will still be there even with a new install as long as the OS was on a separate physical drive. Just make sure you have the drivers for the RAID card.

And after this fresh installation, is there anything that I would need to do to get the new install to "recognize" the old backups, or will they just appear under "Computers and Backups"? Also, under the client computer of interest to me, it now says "No Backups Available", does that mean that although there are terrabytes of data there (apparently), if the backups have expired, they will not be available no matter what I do? Last, what about this that someone else recommended? If you have monitor and keyboard then it's easy. Just insert insert WHS dvd and perform a server recovery, not reinitialization. It will keep all your data intact. Thanks.

Not having a server that has crashed or needed this function, I cannot say if the old backups will be recognized becasue the ID's of the server will be different, even though the hostname will be the same.

As far as the clients, you have working machines now, so a qucik backup of those should resolve any issues.

The key didn't work because RC and RTM are different so the keys would be different. The key you have will only work with an RTM version.

If you left the backups on the c partition (same as the OS) then you will probably use all your backups. If they were not on the c partition they may be recoverable. Hopefully someone who had this problem will get in here and talk specifics. We are just going on basic knowledge of the product, not actual experience.

And after this fresh installation, is there anything that I would need to do to get the new install to "recognize" the old backups, or will they just appear under "Computers and Backups"? Also, under the client computer of interest to me, it now says "No Backups Available", does that mean that although there are terrabytes of data there (apparently), if the backups have expired, they will not be available no matter what I do? Last, what about this that someone else recommended? If you have monitor and keyboard then it's easy. Just insert insert WHS dvd and perform a server recovery, not reinitialization. It will keep all your data intact. Thanks.

Are the backups really all that important? By that I mean, can't you just backup all the client computers after installing the valid version of 2011? It's important to have backups in case a client dies, but if the clients are currently all working, and you install 2011, it makes for a pretty small window of opportunity for failure.