RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

User Folders

Kman

Can you create user subfolders like it had in WHSv1?

I was hopping to be able to make the same structure. This way we don't have so many folders when you click on shared folders and you can only access yours.

Let me know also can you hide folders that someone does not have access for?

I would like to hear form others on how they are doing this after moving to 2011

The short answer is no,

I've noticed this difference between WHS2011 and SBS-E2011.

With WHS2011 there is no default Users shared folder as there is in WHSv1 and SBS-E2011. In WHS2011 you create a parent folder for each user with it's own permissions, which could contain subfolders, however with SBS-E2011 the Users folder is created by the default installation just like Company folder. Then when you add users, they are added as subfolders to the Users parent folder, each with it's own permissions.

So maybe a programmer or developer can look into this and allow that functionality to WHS2011.

What I was trying two ask was two questions

First can you have a folder called Users that everyone has access to. Then have a sub-folder for each user that only the user has access to.

-Users (Everyone has access)

|_ Ed (Only Ed has access)

|_ Zac (Only Zac has access)

|_ Natalie (Only Natalie has access)

This will reduce the number of folders on the main directory for the server?

The 2nd question is can you hide folders from a user if they do not have access to a folder so a user will only see folders that they do have access to

To Answer your first question, Yes you can and here is how you would do it:

The Parent Folder "Users" would be shared with all your users being given the persmission to "List folder Contents" which would give them the ability to traverse down from the parent folder to their own folder where they would essentially have full control of their own folder. The individual users would be able to see the other folders, just not access the data/other folders. You would need to create a Group with the ability to traverse the Users Folder and then add persmissions individually to their own folder. Caveat: Experiment with a couple of folders and the only adjustment you may need to make would be with Inherited Permissions from the Parent Folder. In short, other users should be able to see another Users "home folder", just not open it.

SBSE 2011 should be al lot easier since AD intergration is already there. You could create a Folder named "Home" and redirect all My Documents to there from with AD properties for each user.

The only way to hide a folder would entail putting the $ behind a shared folder or going into advanced properties for the folder and marking it as hidden.

Well I'm not going to worry about hiding the folders as setting this was a interesting enough.

Here is how I did it please let me know if you feel I will have problems.

I created the “Users” folder in Dashboard just like any other folder and provided full access to all my users.

Created the subfolders for each user

Then on the “Users” folder I selected properties and security tab on this tab I removed all access except “List folder contents” for each user (I did not touch System and Administrators).

Then I selected properties of each of the subfolder and for the user’s who’s subfolder it was I added allow for all permissions. On the other users I would just select Deny for the “List folder contents”

As I’m not a pro at this I’m sure there might be an easier way but this seems to work

Without AD integration that is about the only way to do it. Wtih AD you could map a local folder for the user. there is a reason this product is called "Home Server". Some of the things we want to do can take a few extra steps without AD.

What you did should work, but to test it, create a couple of test accounts and see where you can go.