RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SATA on Abit KV-80

Josh Pollard

I have a Home Server built on an ancient Abit Athlon 64 motherboard. It's an Abit KV-80 http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KV-80&fMTYPE=Socket+754

I can't get the SATA raid controller to work. No drivers appears to work. Believe it or not, i've been operating this box on two IDE drives, and now I want to put a SATA drive in it, but I'm stuck.

I've tried the drivers from abit, and then I tried getting drivers straight from VIA, but nothing appears to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

I poked around in the driver file but found nothing that I could find useful in deciphering it.

Have you dug into the bios of the motherboard?

Do you want to use the sata ports as raid or just standard ports? If you just want to use them as reg ports then you should be able to turn off raid on the bios and just install the sata driver from the web site. If the sata driver doesn't work I would tell you to try the via 4 in 1 driver next. Your not kidding that this board is old and your instruction manual for the board is limited. Anyway try the 2 drivers I mentioned above and we will go from there.

Also do you have the original driver cd?

I think I figured it out. I removed the drive that I was trying, and stuck a different random sata drive into the computer, and suddenly it worked. What I found out was that the driver/controller/something only works if the all the drives connected to it are running at 1.5GB/s, instead of 3. If I connect any drives to it that aren't jumpered down to 1.5GB/s then the controller no longer works.....weird....

Thanks for trying guys!

Josh,

You might want to consider a plug in card for that motherboard that would provide some standard Sata 2 controllers for that board. There are some known issues with early AMD controllers. An in-expensive card would allow you to add more drives or move away from the IDE drives. Just a thought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124034

Josh,

You might want to consider a plug in card for that motherboard that would provide some standard Sata 2 controllers for that board. There are some known issues with early AMD controllers. An in-expensive card would allow you to add more drives or move away from the IDE drives. Just a thought.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816124034

That is good advice doc.

I know when I built my first WHS ver.1 box, I had used an old AMD 939 socket Nforce 4 board and WHS ver. 1 did Not like it.

It ran fine for a while then I started to get Sata port errors on the MB.

I solved this problem, by going with a couple add in cards like you suggested. It ran fine after that.

Better safe then sorry.

agree with pcdoc: SATA add-in cards are pretty cheap these days. 'Course, if you're going to buy 2 of them you might consider just getting a new mobo.

Hey Josh,

I believe you figured it out. I saw that your board was a sata 1.5 and I completely forgot about jumpering the drive down to 1.5. You do have to be careful though because not all drives can do that 1.5 jumper. Make sure any drive you stick in there is jumpered to 1.5

As for an add-on card.....that is a very good idea but the only negative in it is that you would have to use a pci version so you may have a slowdown if you hook multiple drives to it.

Might be time to get a new motherboard or a new motherboard CPU combo. I recently purchased a pc package from Newegg that was only $289. It was an athlon x2 I beleve with an Asus mother board, 4 gig of ram, case, and on board video. Also included a cheap power supply. I built that system for my mother but that is plenty of power for whs v1 or 2011 for that matter. I haven't seen that system on new egg since but there are plenty just like it for little cost.