RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

64GB SSD as System Drive - Does Servery Restore work correctly?

THZ

In further reading I learned that TRIM commands (assuming a TRIM-capable OS) can't pass through RAID. Putting SSDs in a RAID array guarantees that you can't optimize their use.

While SSDs are hypothetically more reliable I don't want to invest that money unwisely. My ideal system, when I get the there, probably will be some 2.5" 7200RPM in a RAID1 format as system drives booting off an accessory controller card. The remaining 4 drives will use the native on-board SATA controller.

Chris

In further reading I learned that TRIM commands (assuming a TRIM-capable OS) can't pass through RAID. Putting SSDs in a RAID array guarantees that you can't optimize their use.

While SSDs are hypothetically more reliable I don't want to invest that money unwisely. My ideal system, when I get the there, probably will be some 2.5" 7200RPM in a RAID1 format as system drives booting off an accessory controller card. The remaining 4 drives will use the native on-board SATA controller.

Chris

I have read that as well. But, I have two in raid 0 and they show that trim is enabled.

I have read that as well. But, I have two in raid 0 and they show that trim is enabled.

Trim will be (or might by in the latest beta) supported using Intel's rapid storage. Even if Trim is not supported, you still get some benefit from garbage collection. You would not necessarily see the slow down in a raid 0 anyway due to the fact you are saturating your systems I/O anyhow.