RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

64GB SSD as System Drive - Does Servery Restore work correctly?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THZ

• tojoski

• ChrisCowles

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-*&p=442158&viewfull=1#post442158

just wanted to mention, I believe you can manually make the changes to Win7 that will make it treat the SSD like it would if you had just installed to the SSD in the first place. It's just that, if you install to an SSD from the get go, Win7 makes the changes auto-magically. Can someone confirm? Anyone got a link to an article that details the changes?

• 1 month later...
thepregnantgod

(I think it's on topic...) I'm currently running the OS on a 4x500gb setup attached to the Intel SATA ports. As these old drives I pulled out of the closet are likely to fail and/or drop out of a risk RAID 0 setup, I'd like to backup and restore the system image (C: partition) to an SSD. My server folders are managed by Drive Bender under the S: mount point. So, of course, there's the problem that some of the data is located on those 4 500gb drives, but assuming I can get Drive Bender to move that data, is it possible to simply backup and restore a perfect image (down to icons, settings, passwords, etc.) to an SSD? I do this on a regular basis with my Win7 clients, but I'm not sure how WHS2011 would handle it.

• 5 months later...
ChrisCowles

Guys I think he's referring to restoring the actual server from a backup to an SSD..

If you currently are on a HD, then I wouldn't try to restore to the SSD, like John said there are settings that get changed during the install that

are specific to an SSD that won't be there if you restore as I don't think the restore process is SSD aware like the installation process is.

I'm running mine on an SSD and couldn't be happier. You'll need a flash drive with a file named: cfg.ini with the following contents:

[WinPE]
CheckReqs=0
SystemPartitionSize=MAX

Don't forget to uncheck the "hide extensions for known file types" in your folder options or you may end up with a file named cfg.ini.txt, which setup will ignore.

This will force the WHS2011 installer to ignore the size requirement for the primary HD and tell it to create the C:\ drive as large as the SSD.

Can this approach be used for WHS v1? While I know that some question the wisdom/value of an SSD, and others question why a server should sleep, I want to use an SSD in v1 for precisely that purpose. I have a new N40L Proliant Microserver and am very satisfied, except that it doesn't support S3 sleep. (Why, I have no clue.) It does support hibernate if you turn off PAE.

I've used LightsOut for quite awhile on my old server I'm replacing, allowing the server to sleep. Unfortunately, resuming from hibernation is pretty slow. If I can trick WHS v1 into installing on a small SSD (32GB?) I'll use it as system drive, put it in the ODD space at the top of the server, and use the remaining 4 swappable drive slots for data.

So, back to the question: is there some what to trick WHS v1 into installing on a smaller drive? I'd rather not use the install/move/restore approach. That sounds too flaky, and laborious.

Thanks.

So, back to the question: is there some what to trick WHS v1 into installing on a smaller drive? I'd rather not use the install/move/restore approach. That sounds too flaky, and laborious.

I don't recall the answer, but I believe there is a way to do what you want. Diehard knows the answer I think (IIRC, he found it on another site).

Edit: chk this thread.

I haven't done any testing on installing WHSv1 on a SSD. Technically you only need 20Gig and a hack, otherwise use a 120GB (OS recommended) SSD. Then when everything is running, use Drive Balancer to force the data off the D partition of the system drive.

If I had a SSD I would give this a try and let you know. :(

For WHS2011 it's easy with the cfg.ini file. You can create on with this app. http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Windows-Home-Server-2011-2368ac95/file/53919/1/AnswerFileTool.zip

http://connecteddigi...swer-file-tool/