RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

64GB SSD as System Drive - Does Servery Restore work correctly?

THZ

Hello

I am planning to replace an existing SATA HDD with a 64GB SSD, for the operating system and some programs, and for the data I would use my existing SATA HDD. As far as I've read there is a solution with an USB stick to override the error message telling the system drive is too small. So, installing on a SSD should be working.

I am not sure how a server restore will work: is it possible to restore the C: partition on the SSD drive, and the D: partition on the SATA drive? Will the SSD drive be recognized? Has anyone experience?

From what I've read. It's best to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the SSD. Windows will properly setup some configurations when it see's the SSD drive, If you do a restore from WHS, this is not done.

I don't know about the USB solution to override the error message telling the system drive is too small. I would suggest downloading PerfectDisk 12 trial and use the option to Prep for shrink, then use Windows Disk Management to shrink the drive to below the capacity of the SSD drive then do a WHS backup.

If you choose to do a fresh Windows install, you could run the Windows Easy Migration tool to get your profile and documents copied to a share on the server, then restore that after a clean install.

Guys I think he's referring to restoring the actual server from a backup to an SSD..

If you currently are on a HD, then I wouldn't try to restore to the SSD, like John said there are settings that get changed during the install that

are specific to an SSD that won't be there if you restore as I don't think the restore process is SSD aware like the installation process is.

I'm running mine on an SSD and couldn't be happier. You'll need a flash drive with a file named: cfg.ini with the following contents:

[WinPE]
CheckReqs=0
SystemPartitionSize=MAX

Don't forget to uncheck the "hide extensions for known file types" in your folder options or you may end up with a file named cfg.ini.txt, which setup will ignore.

This will force the WHS2011 installer to ignore the size requirement for the primary HD and tell it to create the C:\ drive as large as the SSD.

Hello

I am planning to replace an existing SATA HDD with a 64GB SSD, for the operating system and some programs, and for the data I would use my existing SATA HDD. As far as I've read there is a solution with an USB stick to override the error message telling the system drive is too small. So, installing on a SSD should be working.

I am not sure how a server restore will work: is it possible to restore the C: partition on the SSD drive, and the D: partition on the SATA drive? Will the SSD drive be recognized? Has anyone experience?

A bit of clarification. Are you talking about WHS 2011? If so, one question I have is why? SSD are great but on servers they provide very little real benefit. Once the server loads, assuming you have adequate memory, most functions run with minimal access to the drive. Even applications which are typically few on a server should have the same effect. Other than initial boot times, your gain will be small if at all. A desktop, HTPC, VM are a different story, however servers especially 2011 are a bit different and do not benifit nearly as much. When you add the complications of the initall install, and ultimately the restore, my suggestion is not to do it.

The acronis method described will have to be done a desktop as acronis will not install a server product. Assuming you are talking about 2011, if you really want to go down this route, than a clean install is a better way to go and will save you allot of grief.

Hi guys

thank you for your replies. Tojoski refers exactly to what I am intending - I didn't clearly express what I want to do:

Guys I think he's referring to restoring the actual server from a backup to an SSD..

If you currently are on a HD, then I wouldn't try to restore to the SSD, like John said there are settings that get changed during the install that

are specific to an SSD that won't be there if you restore as I don't think the restore process is SSD aware like the installation process is.

I'm running mine on an SSD and couldn't be happier. You'll need a flash drive with a file named: cfg.ini with the following contents:

[WinPE]
CheckReqs=0
SystemPartitionSize=MAX

Don't forget to uncheck the "hide extensions for known file types" in your folder options or you may end up with a file named cfg.ini.txt, which setup will ignore.

This will force the WHS2011 installer to ignore the size requirement for the primary HD and tell it to create the C:\ drive as large as the SSD.

I would buy an 64 GB SSD, and do a clean install of WHS 2011. The reason is that my WHS is a little bit too slow for me. I am running an ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU mainboard (socket 775) with a P4 processor. Both my desktop computers have the same processor and mainboard, and I made an enormous step forward when I did replace the main harddiscs with SSD drives! So I wanted to do the same with my WHS 2011.

I know that a clean install is essential in order to get all specific requirements for a SSD drive installed automatically.

And it's exactly the method which Tojoski describes, with the USB drive, I would use - otherwise WHS cannot be installed.

What I am wondering now: one day, if I would have to restory my WHS 2011, would the SSD (as C:) and the SATA harddrive (as D:) be detected from the restore process? Or - in other words - When starting to restore, will the SSD be detected? And can I choose the SSD as C: (System) drive, and for Data the D: drive? Or will this be done automatically?

I did a restore a few days ago on the system drive after a failed attempt to get zune installed on whs2011.. the restore went perfectly

btw.. if anyone is wondering.. yes you can force zune to install, but the wireless sync won't work

A bit of clarification. Are you talking about WHS 2011? If so, one question I have is why? SSD are great but on servers they provide very little real benefit.

I'm getting ready to install My Movies, given that it is SQL based, I would think the SSD would help performance server-side. Although I've never tried it on a HD based server either so I won't have a good point of comparison.

@tojoski: so you have an SSD as primary drive and a HDD as secondary? And when you did this restore a few days ago, did the restore process detect these 2 drives, and restored the 2 drives exactly as they were before?

@tojoski: so you have an SSD as primary drive and a HDD as secondary? And when you did this restore a few days ago, did the restore process detect these 2 drives, and restored the 2 drives exactly as they were before?

Yes, I have an SSD as the primary drive, and a raid array as a secondary. The restore process saw both drives, but I only restored the SSD.