RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WireBoy

Staples HP i7 laptop

Joe_Miner

We've got 3 EliteBooks at work also (can't remember the model #). Haven't had any problems with them since we nuked the stock OS and put our own image on them. Very nice machines I thought.

I had assumed that would be SOP for all business.

ikon

I had assumed that would be SOP for all business.

me too frankly; that's why I asked ITTOG the question; it seemed very unusual to me.

Edited by ikon

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Your IT mgr leaves all the crapware on the laptops they buy? Don't they develop their own OS image to install on all of them?

Unfortunately yes. I am trying to get them to create their own image. I imagine once these are replaced and the same problems exist we will create an image. At least I hope.

WireBoy

Thanks for the comments guys. I bought it and all is working well so far.

I've had nothing but good luck with a variety of HP products over the years, including my EX475 and X510 home servers, a previous HP laptop, HP calculators, a Core2Quad that serves as my Media Center DVR machine, a Core2Duo TouchSmart all-in-one, and my OfficeJet 6500 wireless printer. I don't particularly seek out HP products, they just seem to be there when I'm in the market. I haven't yet been burned, so I'll keep buying HP.

ikon

HP laptops have poor battery life, due to which it affects your whole system.

I can't help but feel that that's a bit of an over simplification. Surely not every HP laptop has poor battery life, or do they? I mean, things change over time. If HP receives a ton of complaints and bad reviews because of battery life one would think they would address it in future models.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

My hp had great battery life. The problem with it is all the crapware they install and the NIC would constantly drop the connection. Eventually they replaced the MB and it was fine after that but dealing with them was a major pain so I will never buy another hp product.

jmwills

Every manufacturer can and does make defective products. I rarely pay attention to reader reviews when buying a product because those are usually the only ones who reply and rate products.

Not slamming anyone, just the reviews on places like NewEgg.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Very true, but hp's failure rate is much higher than the others in my experience. It isn't even close. For instance, we bought 20 hp laptops at work last year. Eighteen of the twenty had to be returned for repair (MB replacement, memory replacement, battery replacement, etc).

hp = junk in my opinion

jmwills

Never had an issue with their products.

ikon

Very true, but hp's failure rate is much higher than the others in my experience. It isn't even close. For instance, we bought 20 hp laptops at work last year. Eighteen of the twenty had to be returned for repair (MB replacement, memory replacement, battery replacement, etc).

hp = junk in my opinion

I'm reminded of the issue Dell had a few years back when the capacitors were failing in droves in their Optiplex Space Saver models (GX270, 280, 620, can't remember exactly which). Dell was a victim of an unscrupulous Chinese manufacturer and it cost them. Yes, they should have vetted the components better in the first place, but hindsight is 20/20. Dell also had terrible overheating issues in their GX620 Space Saver units, leading to premature hard drive failure. They fixed that too; the next model come out with a small fan under the HD and the temperatures dropped dramatically. The moral of the story is they took care of the bad ones and produced much better models since then. I would hope HP does the same.

That said, I sympathise with you. I feel the same way about Seagate hard disks. I just had too many failures of different models over too many years and I can't bring myself to trust them anymore.