RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtualize WHS and Untangle

texasPI

I wanted to start my own thread on this so as to not muddle the Super Router thread. Here's the question I posed in that thread:

So to revive this topic...

I've got a few questions:

• I'm thinking of doing a VM installation of UT on my WHS 2011 box. Good idea or bad?
  • If ok, what VM should I use? I have technet and msdn access at school. I've used and am familiar with VirtualBox and VMware Server.

So I want to try what no-control suggested below.

- I wouldn't load a VM onto 2011 and run UT from there. It's not the best idea IMO.

- IF you have TN and MSDN I would install 08R2 run hyper-V role. create the appropriate VMs (1 for UT and 1 for 2011)

UT installed and works great via Hyper-V on my 08R2 VM box as does PFSense, Fedora, Ubuntu, puppy, mint and a few other distros.

I'd like to impose on someone to give me some instructions if possible. I don't have extra hardware to do this so I'd need to take down my WHS 2011 (which is backed up) and then install 2008R2. I'm not too familiar with Hyper-V and I'm a little confused by that. Is Hyper-V included with 2008R2? Technet does not include (as far as I can find) Hyper-V. Is that correct? I'll have to check through MSDN at our school to see if they offer Hyper-V through their agreement.

Aside from that, I would a minimum of 3 NICs, correct?

I'm starting to lean toward building a stand alone Untangle box now as this is getting a little over my head... :rolleyes:.

Edited by texasPI

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• analog

• ikon

• texasPI

We can get into more specific instructions, but TechNet includes 2008R2, which you can install and then enable the Hyper-V capability. You can also get the Hyper-V standalone for free without technet, but it is more complicated to install VMs on it especially in a non-acive directory network. Not worth it for the home user, in my opinion, especially if you have the hardware and memory to support 2008R2.

We can get into more specific instructions, but TechNet includes 2008R2, which you can install and then enable the Hyper-V capability. You can also get the Hyper-V standalone for free without technet, but it is more complicated to install VMs on it especially in a non-acive directory network. Not worth it for the home user, in my opinion, especially if you have the hardware and memory to support 2008R2.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I became confused because in searching for/about Hyper-V, I think I kept finding the standalon Hyper-V product which lead me to believe it was not included in 2008R2. Thanks.

EDIT: So I'm seeing that Technet has Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Which one should I be looking at?

Edited by texasPI

Ok, so I've got 2008 R2 installed, I enabled the Hyper-V role, and I created a VM for WHS 2011. I'm stuck in trying to restore WHS 2011 from my backup. I've added the physical hard disk the backup is on to the VM but it doesn't find it.

Any thoughts? Should I add all the physical hard drives I had in my original WHS 2011 install to the VM?

I believe this would depend on how the backup was setup. You would need at least as much space that was allocated for the original backup scheme.

So, you have done this?

To add a hard disk to a virtual machine

1. Open Hyper-V Manager. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Hyper-V Manager.

2. In the results pane, under Virtual Machines, select the virtual machine that you want to configure.

3. In the Action pane, under the virtual machine name, click Settings.

4. In the navigation pane (left pane), click the controller that you want to attach the disk to.

5. Click Add.

6. On the Hard Drive page, select the location on the controller to attach the disk.

7. Under Media, do one of the following:
    • Specify the location of the virtual hard disk (.vhd) file.
    • Specify a physical hard disk.

[*]

Click OK.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742412.aspx

Yeah, I finally got it to work. For some reason it did not work the first few times I tried it. The first thing I had to do was take the physical disk offline within disk management in 2008R2 before I could add it to the VM. The only issue is that I could not get the WHS restore to function properly. I booted the VM from the WHS install disk but when I try to do the repair installation, it does not find the recovery image stored on the physical hard disk that was added to the VM.

If I boot WHS 2011 normally, I can restore files from the physical disk through the dashboard. I tried doing a restore of the WHS operating system (C:\) and it appears to complete successfully but it looks no different than a clean installation. In other words, none of the users, client machines, or windows updates are restored. A minor hassle so I'm not too worried about that if I have to setup all that stuff over again.

Perhaps the issue is that OS disk I had WHS on in the physical box is now running 2008R2. Maybe I should have 2008R2 on its own physical disk and give the WHS VHD its own physical disk so that it has the same partitions and size as it had in the physical box? Maybe that's why the restore is not completing successfully?

Edited by texasPI

Yeah, I finally got it to work. For some reason it did not work the first few times I tried it. The first thing I had to do was take the physical disk offline within disk management in 2008R2 before I could add it to the VM. The only issue is that I could not get the WHS restore to function properly. I booted the VM from the WHS install disk but when I try to do the repair installation, it does not find the recovery image stored on the physical hard disk that was added to the VM.

If I boot WHS 2011 normally, I can restore files from the physical disk through the dashboard. I tried doing a restore of the WHS operating system (C:\) and it appears to complete successfully but it looks no different than a clean installation. In other words, none of the users, client machines, or windows updates are restored. A minor hassle so I'm not too worried about that if I have to setup all that stuff over again.

Perhaps the issue is that OS disk I had WHS on in the physical box is now running 2008R2. Maybe I should have 2008R2 on its own physical disk and give the WHS VHD its own physical disk so that it has the same partitions and size as it had in the physical box? Maybe that's why the restore is not completing successfully?

Sounds like a pretty good hypothesis.