RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB 3.0 Are you going to jump onboard?

Dave

Guest no-control

meh...I think I would rather wait. For storage I don't really see the point, doens't esata pretty much provide enough headroom for most storage drives? And who's rich enough to be using SSD as a portable or even as a storage drive?

I think once it become "THE" standard is when it'll be widely adopted. For now I can access files on my GP drives and it feels fairly snappy. eSATA and USB 2 for me for now

Good write up though! Not too long with just the right amount of information!

Octavean,

Good find on the hardware. When I bought this card there was not very many options. I still believe however that it is a very viable option for homeserver upgrades as USB 2.0 is too slow for direct writing of large files. Just my two cents..

Yeah I gathered that it was an early adopter type of purchase where there may have been fewer choices. It was a great write up BTW.

In my case I was interested in building a Lynnfield based system as soon as the hardware started to ship like I did about a year earlier with Bloomfield. The scuttlebutt at the time was that Lynnfield motherboards would ship with USB 3.0 / SATA 6G support (or some would anyway) and that ASUS would also have the U36G PCIe card out soon thereafter at about ~$30. Unfortunately Lynnfield motherboards didn

Sata 6gb/sec is really pretty pointless. Very few single drives even saturates the 1.5gb/sec?
That said, USB3 has real practical advantages. I think it's pretty slick, and that's a great write-up. I don't really have much of a use for it myself, as I don't use external drives, but I can certainly see the advantage.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I do not use external drives except for offsite backup however I was still facinated by the possibility of greater speed. Once this standard is more widely incorporated in motherboards, it will be fast and cheap. Even today it is not much more than eSata and from my testing with both is far more stable and of course, backwards compatibil. Thanks for the feedback.

Sure I would agree that the benefits of SATA 6G would be lost with mechanical drives and that SSD drives wont make much sense in a WHS. If anything will take advantage of SATA 6G it will be SSD drives though and newer drives better suited for the task are on their way.

So on the client side if you feel the need for speed it could be advantageous.

BTW, here is a kind of weird hybrid solution that may be more gimmick then anything else but at least it sounds interesting:

SilverStone HDDBOOST

SilverStone HDDBOOST lets you build your own hybrid SSD hard drive

Anyway as for USB 3.0, if you have maxed out your internal storage and have to go external I would much prefer to go with USB 3.0 then USB 2.0. Right now I am in just that situation but my WHS hardware is too old to support a PCIe USB 3.0 card. I plan to move over from the old Athlon XP 1900+ WHS to a new (rather newer) Athlon 64 X2 4800+ based WHS soon.

I just had a good experience with an eSata dock that I'll post about soon. I think if I were building a new server I would certainly look into USB 3.0. Did I miss the talk about drivers? Will the cards ship with drivers for Server 2003?

Although it is not called out directly, the drivers did work with 2003. THere are a bunch of other cards as well that call for direct support such as the one below. As they all use the NEC chipset, I am fairly sure the performance will be comparable with any card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815283031&cm_re=usb_3.0-_-15-283-031-_-Product