RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ITX-Board w. eSATA Port multiplier and USB 3.0

Server Grunt

Hi,

The otherwise very good ITX-board Zotac H67, seems to lack port multiplier recognition. on eSATA

Anyone know of a good board that has this natively?

Also, is port multiplyer a function for USB 3.0? Or do one not need it for thsi connection?

Thanks,

Server Grunt

Hi,

The otherwise very good ITX-board Zotac H67, seems to lack port multiplier recognition. on eSATA

Anyone know of a good board that has this natively?

Also, is port multiplyer a function for USB 3.0? Or do one not need it for thsi connection?

Thanks,

Server Grunt

Just to clarify, Port multiplier is not part of any motherboard. This is usually a function of an add on cage of sorts that allows you to add multiple drives to one connection. Same for USB, these are cages that add multiple drives to one USB connection and have nothing do to with USB itself. Do not look for any motherboard that has this feature as it is not a motherboard function. Just get any board that meets you requirements. If you do not need wireless, check out my review of the mini ITX I just posted as that board was only $90. Hope this helps.

http://homeservershow.com/one-for-the-closet.html

Ok.

So just to get this right - if I want to add an external eSATA case with multiple discs, I should be able tio add them all to the drive pool sithout a port multiplier, or I am a little confused.

=> Doc: Thanks for the tip! Good value for money on that board

/S. Grunt

Port Multiplier feature allows you to see individual SATA drives connected through PC's SATA controller (HBA). Read this Addonics tutorial.

Without Port Multiplier you'll only be able to see a single logical disk (LUN) - this is perfectly fine if the "disk" seen by the HBA is a single RAID which itself may be composed of any number of physical disks implemented in any way, RAID0, 1, 5, 10, or JBOD (ie. concatenated).

However, if you want to use the physical disks individually, for example, your PC is running a software RAID or Volume Manager (like Veritas), then your HBA must have Port Multiplier feature built-in and not all of them do.

Edited by AlexF

Any newer board with an eSATA connection either on the rear panel or via a "red" port on the motherboard should have port multiplier. It's a function of the Intel chipset. This is what enables you to have one SATA cable plugged into an external drive cage and still see each individual drive in that cage. Normally with SATA, one cable = one drive.

The Zotac H67 or even the Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 should meet your needs.

I own the The Zotac H67 MB. The JMicron JMB360 chip that is used for the esata port does support port multiplier cages. The internal sata use the intel chipset. But like pcdoc stated, its not the MB that support this but with the enclosures. As a test a few weekends ago, I was able to attach my Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S to the esata port and was able to see the 2 HDs independent of each other.

I own the The Zotac H67 MB. The JMicron JMB360 chip that is used for the esata port does support port multiplier cages. The internal sata use the intel chipset. But like pcdoc stated, its not the MB that support this but with the enclosures. As a test a few weekends ago, I was able to attach my Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S to the esata port and was able to see the 2 HDs independent of each other.

This is a bit confusing for me. I tried attaching my MediaSonic eSATA Probox to my Acer H340 WHS and it could not see the individual drives (the ProBox is set up as JBOD, so the drives should show up separately in Server 2003). However, after I installed a StarTech 2-port Silicon Image eSATA PCIe card, the drives did, and still do, show up. There are striped together using Disk Manager in 2003.

So, if the 2 drives in your Icy Dock are showing up, doesn't that mean the port must be multiplier aware? Help me Obiwan, help me.

It is a bit confusing. Your host (usually with a single sata connection) should see the drives that are created in cage based on how the cage was configured. If it was created as JBOD, then it should be seen that way on a host. If the cage is setup as a port replicator mode, than if should be seen by the host as individual drives. The setup and configuration is usually within the cage but the controller must be aware and capable of seeing as it is configured. As mrossco stated, all current Intel chipsets see these devices. Keep in mind that with port replicators, the bandwidth is limited to the equivalent of one drive so if you are read/writing to more than one at a time it will slow down.