RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Switch Chat to IRC?

Luzer

I think the reason they have stuck with the livestream chat is that it's simple and is free.

What benefit would IRC offer?

Actually, I believe Dave mentioned in the recent podcast that there is a 5 user limit in the current chat system and would consider buying another license for more users if there was the demand.

IRC is free and easy to use. I'm surprised that some people dont know what it is.

IRC started out back in the day and is the "original" chat room. If anyone wants I make a chat room in Freenode and we can try it out after the podcast tonight?

I'm not sure what the advantage of IRC would be either, short of file transfer...? The chat is here, whereas IRC would require an IRC client. OK, yes, you can use in-browser IRC clients but they are poor and don't allow for any of the advantages IRC offers over the web based chat we already have here.

Cost, I suppose. It is free...if the server will allow it. And we've run the 2CPU chat room on FreeNode for at least 7 years now.

I'm honestly not sure why we wouldn't just stick with what's already provided by the forum software. Plus, it is nice that it will let you know if anyone is in chat ATM.