RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Touchpad - News and Updates

texasPI

Erik...sorry to hear that! I hope they find it soon.

If you do get it back...Purchased a New $99 HP WebOS TouchPad? 10 Productive Things You Can Do Forever without HP!

Thanks Jim! I have one I scored at Walmart so not a total loss. I actually ordered three but ended up with one. None were canceled, just mishaps like UPS and Walmart failed to hold two as had been ordered.

I was just reading your write up and found it quite useful. I've got mine overclocked and applied some patches and it has really smoothed out the browser scrolling. (sorry for the off topic!)

**********EDIT

Moderator has split off some posts from another thread to keep things on topic.

Edited by cskenney

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• jam3ohio

• ikon

• texasPI

Thanks for the feedback. It was a fun post to write!

Would you mind putting some notes together on how you overclocked it and what your experience has been and I will post it as an update to this article? I think people might want to know how you did that?

Thanks for the feedback. It was a fun post to write!

Would you mind putting some notes together on how you overclocked it and what your experience has been and I will post it as an update to this article? I think people might want to know how you did that?

Sure, here's the forum thread I followed to overclock: link

Overall I found webOS to be fun to use and I agree with your write up on the browser, it is one of the best I've ever used. The problem I noticed was that scrolling was not as smooth as say the iPad 2 (which I also own). So once you install preware you can look through the items there for various tweaks to browser, system etc. One of my favorites has been a tweak to allow video to continue when you card the video player so that you can move to another application and then return without interrupting your video. Preware is like Cydia for iOS in that it has feeds and packages. I'll get more in-depth if you'd like but once you install preware it is pretty self explanatory.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm not sure this is related or not as I did not use the Touchpad long enough before overclocking but my battery life has not been too good. I've grown accustomed to the longevity of the iPad but with the Touchpad, it pretty much runs down in a day while in standby. I think the WiFi does not sleep as I get email notifications even while it's in a sleep state. I don't think it is the overclock because it just overclocks on demand. When I check Govnah it shows it at about 433mhz on the home screen and it jumps up to the full 1.7ghz when apps are loaded etc. Like I said, I'm not sure it is related but I thought it important to point out.

Edited by texasPI

I also wanted to add that for those looking for an inexpensive case, I have found the Griffin Elan Folio for the iPad 1 to be an excellent fit. All ports and controls are fully accesible. Almost as it were made for the Touchpad. Verizon Wireless has then for $9.99 or if you have an employer discount like I do, it came out to $7.48 or 25% off. I ordered this before Office Depot dropped the price of the official HP case to $19.99. I may have sprung for that instead but the reviews on its quality make me wonder whether it is worth it. The only reason I might spring for it is because of it is supposed to work with the Touchstone charging dock, I'm not sure if the Griffin would work.

Here's a link of to the Griffin: Link

apple_ipad_folio_case_blk_lthr.png

I can post photos of the Touchpad in the case if anyone is interested.

I "walked into one" at Wal-mart on Saturday and picked it up. They had two available. @jcollison: great article. I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it. :-)

I split off some of the items from the Fire Sale thread since some of the posts were more about using and modifying the tablet verses finding one.