RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Where do you keep your data; Server or Client side?

Tom Grundy

This is a general question that I've been waffling on for some time now; "Where should my data live?"

I generally use a singe desktop machine to do the majority of my work, however, that is not always the case. I'll often break out the laptop sit in the den and work on this or that while spending time with the family. Seems like you can clear up a lot of mail that works its way into the Inbox while watching some TV or surfing the net.

I've got a gigabit network so speed is not a huge network issue, save iTunes starting an iTunes video which taks a while to queue up.

So I've mapped the "My Documents" folder on my Pc over to my server \Users\My Documents, in this way no PC Client is the host of my data and any PC gets me access. The downside is my server is stuck in the always on mode since my hours vary widely; additionally iTunes just stinks! Not to mention it's a pig when you data is hosted on a network share (starting a video over the network can freeze iTunes for 30 to 40 seconds.

So I'm considering moving my data files back to the PC Client and relegating my WHS to backups.

I'm curious what the forum thinks, so add your thoughts.. I look forward to your feedback.

Tom Grundy

tlgrundy@pacbell.net

If your only client is a desktop then I would do as you have and re-direct all data to the server. For those of of with multiple machines who travel and need that same data, I keep two copies, the server side, and one on a laptop that gets synced with the data upon arriving home.

And I agree with you about iTunes for the PC, it's awful. That's why I migrated over to the Zune software...nice.

And I agree with you about iTunes for the PC, it's awful. That's why I migrated over to the Zune software...nice.

QFT. The problem isn't your data storage its iTunes. Unfortunately both my Zunes have died so I've been forced to the darkside. I still refuse to use iTunes however. There are other ways to sync you iOS devices (i.e. Music Monkey) and much, much better video players. Although if you have a bunch of iTunes purchased videos I guess you're stuck unless you get one of their hardware players.

This is a continuous debate both here and in our own minds. There are couple of options that I have used that helps me. First, I keep all my music, pictures, and movies on my server and either remap the clients there or pull from the server. Secondly, I put data such as documents on my main PC and use Dropbox on all my systems. This provides several layers of both protection and convenience. Since the data is on my PC, it is included in the backups giving me a second copy as well as copied to the Dropbox servers for extra protection. In addition, since Dropbox syncs automatically, it is always on the system that I using no matter where I am or what system I am on including a web direct access. Just my thoughts.

I put everything on the server. I have a main desktop as well as a laptop for work. With my files on the server, I can access them from whichever computer I happen to be using. I also check that little checkbox "Always available offline" to make those documents available on my laptop when I'm on the road. Everything just syncs back up when I come back home.

I leave my server on 24x7, so I'm not worried about that, I just make sure to backup my shares to an external drive periodically.

I have been keeping my data on my WHS for quite a while. It has made life easier knowing that everything is centrally located and if I need to complete a Windows reinstall (like I did 2 weeks ago) I know the data is safe.

I do like the idea of keeping documents on Dropbox as well and need to utilize this more.

Tim

I keep 90% of mine on my server given it has duplication. If it didn't, ala WHS 2011, I would keep it on my clients.

I tried keeping my data just on the server. Then I needed to do a Recovery restore of my WHS v1. At the time it went down I didn't have time to do the restore so it had to wait a day or 2. In the mean time, i had no access to my data. Soooo, now I keep my data both local and on the server: primary on my local PC, secondary on my WHS, tertiary on the external eSATA box attached to my WHS, and (what comes after tertiary?) a fourth copy for offsite storage. Except for the offsite, all of the copies are kept in sync via scheduled tasks that run RoboCopy every night.

I tried keeping my data just on the server. Then I needed to do a Recovery restore of my WHS v1. At the time it went down I didn't have time to do the restore so it had to wait a day or 2. In the mean time, i had no access to my data. Soooo, now I keep my data both local and on the server: primary on my local PC, secondary on my WHS, tertiary on the external eSATA box attached to my WHS, and (what comes after tertiary?) a fourth copy for offsite storage. Except for the offsite, all of the copies are kept in sync via scheduled tasks that run RoboCopy every night.

This is why I am thinking an external box, like the Lian Li box that pcdoc wrote about, can be very valuable. Especially with WHS 2011.

This is why I am thinking an external box, like the Lian Li box that pcdoc wrote about, can be very valuable. Especially with WHS 2011.

I'm currently SpinRiting several drives to populate my 2 EX-503b's -_-