RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status

dvn

Dave, let us know if that connector reinstall worked. I'm curious to know.

dslabby

Dave,

You should not have to go without PD12. I am using PD12 with HSS. If you wish to clear out the HSS settings, simply go into the registry and remove HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Home Server Status.

I wish to help you with this and I am sorry that HSS is not performing for you at this time.

Thanks Jerry, I know this is not the fault of your software but rather my computer network somehow. I have uninstalled PD12 temporarily. but still no icon. Weird thing is, if I shut down or restart the server the icon goes green and states the server is online for a while, then goes gray again when the server boots back up, almost backwards from what I'd expect. Oh well, connector reinstall next.

JerryW

Thanks Jerry, I know this is not the fault of your software but rather my computer network somehow. I have uninstalled PD12 temporarily. but still no icon. Weird thing is, if I shut down or restart the server the icon goes green and states the server is online for a while, then goes gray again when the server boots back up, almost backwards from what I'd expect. Oh well, connector reinstall next.

Thanks for letting me know..

dslabby

Well the connector software reinstall did not work, neither did uninstalling PD12. Strange thing is I get backup alert status reports (balloon tips) on all clients, and other info through HSS. But icon still stays gray and shows offline for the server, weird. I'll try a complete removal of HSS, a restart and reinstall removing the reg key next. I don't know what else to try. Let you know how it goes. Gotta get to bed, have to work early in the AM. Thanks for all your advice so far.

dvn

@ Dave - This is a strange one because you say it's happening on all 3 machines. The online icon never appears, but you have full functionality otherwise. It's like something common but external to all 3 computers is fouled up.

So what could it be? The server? Jerry what if the server isn't responding to polling? Could that be possible, yet the server is still responding to HSS functions otherwise?

dslabby

@ Dave - This is a strange one because you say it's happening on all 3 machines. The online icon never appears, but you have full functionality otherwise. It's like something common but external to all 3 computers is fouled up.

So what could it be? The server? Jerry what if the server isn't responding to polling? Could that be possible, yet the server is still responding to HSS functions otherwise?

The complete uninstall of HSS and reinstall did not change the icon problem. Seems that other than the online/offline status display of the tray icon, all other functions work fine. I got up this AM to a balloon tip saying the backup of the computer was running and the icon was blue and showing 96% complete. When the backup finished the icon returned to gray and said offline. The server was still on and the launchpad had no problem connecting, I think HSS is connecting fine as well but why it doesn't display the correct server status is baffling. All other network functions at all clients are working fine. Lights Out can see and communicate from the server to all clients. I tried powering off the server and using HSS "Wake on LAN" function, it worked, but all the time the tray icon says offline and stays gray. I'm running out of things to try, any suggestions?

JerryW

The complete uninstall of HSS and reinstall did not change the icon problem. Seems that other than the online/offline status display of the tray icon, all other functions work fine. I got up this AM to a balloon tip saying the backup of the computer was running and the icon was blue and showing 96% complete. When the backup finished the icon returned to gray and said offline. The server was still on and the launchpad had no problem connecting, I think HSS is connecting fine as well but why it doesn't display the correct server status is baffling. All other network functions at all clients are working fine. Lights Out can see and communicate from the server to all clients. I tried powering off the server and using HSS "Wake on LAN" function, it worked, but all the time the tray icon says offline and stays gray. I'm running out of things to try, any suggestions?

Backup status comes from the launchpad and server. You said these are working. Great. Connectivity status comes from one thing, polling the server via ICMP (Ping) in a multi-threaded fashion. It gets the server name from the registry entry provided by the WHS 2011 Connector. That registry entry can be found in the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server. You will see the ServerDNSName, ServerDomainName, and the ServerName.

Check these and make sure they read correctly. If they do, then the ONLY item left, from the HSS prespective, is being able to ping the server HOSTNAME from all clients and getting a reply. In order to achieve this, File and Print Sharing (Echo Request - ICMP v4-in) must be enabled and allowed through the firewall for at least the private network, ON THE SERVER. To verify this, go to your windows firewall and look for the green checks by the items.

dslabby: whether you decide to purchase HSS or not, we are here and want to help you solve this problem.

Edited by JerryW

dslabby

Thanks Jerry, will check that when I get home from work today. This is getting to be a matter of pride now, I got to figure this out. It should be (and probably is) something simple. It's almost got to be something with the server firewall, as selective as the blocking seems to be.

ikon

Thanks Jerry, will check that when I get home from work today. This is getting to be a matter of pride now, I got to figure this out. It should be (and probably is) something simple. It's almost got to be something with the server firewall, as selective as the blocking seems to be.

It certainly does appear to be very selective. Good luck.

dslabby
Backup status comes from the launchpad and server. You said these are working. Great. Connectivity status comes from one thing, polling the server via ICMP (Ping) in a multi-threaded fashion. It gets the server name from the registry entry provided by the WHS 2011 Connector. That registry entry can be found in the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server. You will see the ServerDNSName, ServerDomainName, and the ServerName. Check these and make sure they read correctly. If they do, then the ONLY item left, from the HSS prespective, is being able to ping the server HOSTNAME from all clients and getting a reply. In order to achieve this, File and Print Sharing (Echo Request - ICMP v4-in) must be enabled and allowed through the firewall for at least the private network, ON THE SERVER. To verify this, go to your windows firewall and look for the green checks by the items. dslabby: whether you decide to purchase HSS or not, we are here and want to help you solve this problem.

Oh Yeah! The firewall setting was the trick. HSS now works perfectly and shows online. The outgoing rules were right as you discussed with another poster earlier in this thread but I never checked the incoming rules. Both the setting for ICMP v4-in & v6-in were not enabled. Turned them on and the icon lit up nice and green. Thanks for all your help. My order for this add in goes in tonight. You were all a lot of help in sorting this out. :D