RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status

jeffla

HSS has been rock solid and I'm very pleased with it's performance. I have 1 suggestion, I would like health alerts. I know while on the HS Podcast you said you wanted HSS to be more than just a replacement connector icon and I can't blame you for feeling that way. But I feel like that is what you have created, you have created the perfect connector. So much so I think most of us no longer even allow the OEM connector to load on start up. HSS does everything the oem connector does + so much more, and it takes up considerably less resources, but, it's missing health alerts.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

JerryW

HSS has been rock solid and I'm very pleased with it's performance. I have 1 suggestion, I would like health alerts. I know while on the HS Podcast you said you wanted HSS to be more than just a replacement connector icon and I can't blame you for feeling that way. But I feel like that is what you have created, you have created the perfect connector. So much so I think most of us no longer even allow the OEM connector to load on start up. HSS does everything the oem connector does + so much more, and it takes up considerably less resources, but, it's missing health alerts.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Jeff,

I appreciate your kinds words. I never intended HSS to replace the alert system that the MS Launchpad contains. However, I do agree with you and see where individuals would rather use HSS vs MS Launchpad.

There are a couple of problems with this scenario:

1. MS has built a framework for the alert system and alerts are no longer delivered as simple messages like WHSv1 had. This would require that I build a similar framework to handle alerts (i.e.: re-inventing the wheel).

2. WHS2011 alerts, at least for me, are completely annoying! I cannot begin to tell you how many times I am told my router is not configured correctly or one of my sons computers needs updating. Forget the fact that I have told the system to ignore these alerts. As I am typing this message I am seeing that my router is not configured correctly and my backup for the server has not been configured! ARGH!

3. Once folks begin using the HSS application exclusively, I will then be asked to put in the ability to detect other add-ins that use the Launchpad. Actually, I have already been asked about this.

I guess that I sort of feel if I begin to go down the road of offering these alerts, then everyone will want me to offer a way to handle them in similar method that MS Launchpad does. Please do not misunderstand my comments to seem as if I am a lazy programmer. This is not the case. Some of the features offered have been put in at the suggestions of users like you. I am grateful for your suggestions, as well as others. I definitely desire ease of use, quick, and overall good application experience. Keep in mind, the more we offer, the bigger this application will get and the more resources it will take.

Hmm, maybe what I could do is offer a separate check box in the admin section that would allow the user the ability to enable/disable the additional alerts. However, I would not offer the alert management features that the MS Launchpad offers (i.e.: ignore, delete, etc). You simply get a yellow or red icon if there is an alert, along with the alert message. After clicking on the alert, maybe clearing it, thus turning the icon back to green (not sure on this one). Maybe you could help me brainstorm it? What do you think of this?

Jerry

jeffla

I understand what you are saying and honestly I forgot how annoying the alert system is. I too used to get constant router warnings, backup warnings, computer needs updating warnings and so forth. The more I think about it the more I'm not sure anymore that you should add alerts to HSS. I do like the idea of just changing the icon different colors. I have to think about this for a while.

Jeff

cge

Hmm, maybe what I could do is offer a separate check box in the admin section that would allow the user the ability to enable/disable the additional alerts. However, I would not offer the alert management features that the MS Launchpad offers (i.e.: ignore, delete, etc). You simply get a yellow or red icon if there is an alert, along with the alert message. After clicking on the alert, maybe clearing it, thus turning the icon back to green (not sure on this one). Maybe you could help me brainstorm it? What do you think of this?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

According to me this should be good enough, the goal is just to inform the user that there is something wrong then we can use the launchpad or the dashboard to manage health alerts.

Regards

Christophe

JerryW

Hi Jerry,

According to me this should be good enough, the goal is just to inform the user that there is something wrong then we can use the launchpad or the dashboard to manage health alerts.

Regards

Christophe

I may go ahead and do this as 2.1 update. Let me look into it and will see.

Jerry

JerryW

OK.. About alerts. I have been looking at this for quite awhile. Trying to think of a reasonable solution.

• Each computer running the launchpad/connector has the ability to select whether or not the user wants to be alerted about local problems or local and network problems.
  • So, do I change the icon colors according to the errors for local or network, do I program in whether or not the user has selected one of these options, or do I choose simply to notify the user about network problems.

Truthfully, I am not getting a good feeling on this one. Why? Well, I am going to be hard-pressed to please people here. Not to mention, it will definitely require some work. I know, simple little colored icon. Not so. There is processing that has to take place. I have to program HSS to look at the above factors and determine how to show them to someone. I am looking at into this but I wanted you guys to be aware of what I am thinking and looking at.

Jerry

gcoupe

Personally, I would take the line of least resistance.

• For yer average user, don't bother with alerts. Keep HSS as it is. They tend to panic if they see something they don't expect.
  • For yer geek/administrator, don't bother with alerts. Keep HSS as it is. Tell them the secret sauce is to run the Dashboard. They'll like that, because it differentiates them from yer average user.
  • The geek/administrator can always run the Dashboard in order to see all those amazing Alerts telling them information that is not always relevant. Nonetheless, they will be content in heart.

jeffla

I initially wanted you to add alerts to HSS, but the more I think about it, alerts just annoy me. Today my laptop had 1 update to install, had HSS notified me there was an alert, I would have opened the dashboard, clicked on alerts just to find out what I already know. My laptop is installing an update. Now since HSS does not notify me of alerts, the dashboard alert would have cleared itself in time without ever needing to notify me of anything.

Where I think the problem here lies is with Microsoft's Alert system. There is no need to notify via an alert that a computer needs updating, or if you like that feature, make it only for select computers or something, not select users. I feel like I babysit 2011's alert system much more than I did on V1. Every time I open the dashboard I have an alert for something, whether it is a computer that needs an update (which it will install automatically anyways so why tell me), a failed backup (which again who cares, it will resolve itself after the next backup) or my router isn't configured correctly since I don't forward port 80 to the server.

So Jerry, leave alerts out. Or could you rewrite them for Microsoft so they are useful or at least customizable. Imagine if alerts were a opt in system, think of a list of possible alerts with check boxes, you simply select which alerts you want to be notified of. Oh happy days when it would shut up about my router.

JerryW

I agree with you Geoff and Jeff,

As much as I would like to jump on MS for WHS 2011, I will hold to my thoughts. I wished I could re-create the alert system. However, the framework involved is much more than I care to wrangle.

Now, if you have suggestions, other than the alert system, I would be happy to entertain them. A want, need, etc. Anything, within reason, is a go.

Jerry

WalterS

Yes Jerry the server name is listed (SERVER). I don't use the WHS Web Domain URL, my router is an old Linksys and is not setup for web access. Previous versions of HSS had the same problems. I did notice HSS icon now stays blue with "0%" as if it was backing up, but it never advances it just stays at "0%".

Seems like the shared folders menu item is ghosted, and the tray icon never changes color, stays black=Offline..