RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status

msawyer91

??? In my experience Win7 takes less resources than Vista so, if the Toshiba can run Vista, it should run Win7 even better. There is a small possibility of driver issues, but it's unlikely because, for the most part, Win7 accepts Vista drivers just fine. The most common problem with drivers is that people move from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7 and there just aren't any 64 bit drivers for some of the hardware. In that case, just install 32 bit Win7.

That's been my experience anyway....

Ugh...the thought of willingly installing a 32-bit OS sends chills down my spine. I usually hunt to the ends of the earth for drivers just so I can stay away from 32-bit. :)

bitleague

Done. Check for updates!

Thanks for the update!

I just registered the app and installed it on my other PC's. Does it show server alerts as they happen? The only one I've seen so far is that it's backing up the current PC.

JerryW

Thanks for the update!

I just registered the app and installed it on my other PC's. Does it show server alerts as they happen? The only one I've seen so far is that it's backing up the current PC.

No, HSS does not deliver those annoying server alerts and never will. HSS was meant to give back 'backup and connectivity status' that MS had in WHS v1. Of course I have carried it somewhat further than that.

bitleague

No, HSS does not deliver those annoying server alerts and never will. HSS was meant to give back 'backup and connectivity status' that MS had in WHS v1. Of course I have carried it somewhat further than that.

Thanks for the clarification.

BobGreg

I’m not sure if I have a problem or not on installation.

The screen shots show the Status settings and a menu to set up the programme.

I’m not getting that at all.

I get just the small task menu when I right click on the status box with or without pinning the programme to the task bar.

I have no means of setting anything up or making any changes.

It’s all listed as shown:

clip_image001.jpg jpeg not showing

Some of the tasks work – backup etc, but settings, check for updates and about etc do not activate.

The box above is all I ever see – I’ve reloaded the programme - no difference.

Where am I going wrong?

Regards,

Bob

JerryW

I’m not sure if I have a problem or not on installation.

The screen shots show the Status settings and a menu to set up the programme.

I’m not getting that at all.

I get just the small task menu when I right click on the status box with or without pinning the programme to the task bar.

I have no means of setting anything up or making any changes.

It’s all listed as shown:

clip_image001.jpg jpeg not showing

Some of the tasks work – backup etc, but settings, check for updates and about etc do not activate.

The box above is all I ever see – I’ve reloaded the programme - no difference.

Where am I going wrong?

Regards,

Bob

As of now, I do not know but try this: Assuming you have the latest version installed, make sure HSS is not running, go to C:\ProgramData\Home Server Status and delete the Settings.xml file. Re-run HSS.

Edited by JerryW

BobGreg

Jerry,

Tried the repair - unsuccessful I'm sorry to say.

Bob

JerryW

Jerry,

Tried the repair - unsuccessful I'm sorry to say.

Bob

Bob,

This is a first. So, we will have to figure it out. After deleting the settings.xml file, did you get the registration dialog? Afterwards, were you able to successfully register HSS? If so, then let's try something else. I want you to re-install/repair your .NET Framework v4. I saw you had attempted to attach and image but it was not successful. Can you attempt to include a screenshot again?

Thanks,

Jerry

BobGreg

clip_image001.jpg jpeg not showing - have sent email reply which shows the jpeg

Jerry,

Here is the jpeg I tried to send earlier – but updated – has Backup Log item listed this time.

I have repaired Net Framework v4 as requested.

I again deleted the xml file and activated HSS got the reg dialogue and entered my registered details. Loaded HSS again – right click on the icon in task manager and got the box shown above (actual update shows extra item – Backup Log which along with most of the other items listed do not activate) . The only items that respond are Remote Web Access and Shared Folders.

This is the only activity I get

So I’m afraid back to square one.

Regards,

Bob

ikon

I don't think we're going to be able to see a jpg on your C: drive :)