RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status

ikon

I have a Toshiba netbook that just isn't man enough to run Win7?

??? In my experience Win7 takes less resources than Vista so, if the Toshiba can run Vista, it should run Win7 even better. There is a small possibility of driver issues, but it's unlikely because, for the most part, Win7 accepts Vista drivers just fine. The most common problem with drivers is that people move from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7 and there just aren't any 64 bit drivers for some of the hardware. In that case, just install 32 bit Win7.

That's been my experience anyway....

AndyWak

??? In my experience Win7 takes less resources than Vista so, if the Toshiba can run Vista, it should run Win7 even better. There is a small possibility of driver issues, but it's unlikely because, for the most part, Win7 accepts Vista drivers just fine. The most common problem with drivers is that people move from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7 and there just aren't any 64 bit drivers for some of the hardware. In that case, just install 32 bit Win7.

That's been my experience anyway....

Yes, thats what I thought so put Win7 Pro 32bit on and it ran like a dog. Toshiba did supply Win7 drivers to but it didn't help. I had an old copy of Vista Ultimate OEM lying around, and thought I would try it before resorting to XP, but it runs much better with Vista, odd huh.

ikon

Yes, thats what I thought so put Win7 Pro 32bit on and it ran like a dog. Toshiba did supply Win7 drivers to but it didn't help. I had an old copy of Vista Ultimate OEM lying around, and thought I would try it before resorting to XP, but it runs much better with Vista, odd huh.

Yeah, really. I've never run into a case like it myself.

AndyWak

Yeah, really. I've never run into a case like it myself.

Yep, I thought it was odd myself, but fact is fact and it definitely runs noticeably better under Vista. I use it mainly with the Slingplayer software to watch Sky TV in my bedroom. Slingplayer has known issues on Win7, stuttering playback etc. but it is fine on Vista.

ikon

Yep, I thought it was odd myself, but fact is fact and it definitely runs noticeably better under Vista. I use it mainly with the Slingplayer software to watch Sky TV in my bedroom. Slingplayer has known issues on Win7, stuttering playback etc. but it is fine on Vista.

a double whammy; a pc, and a program, that like Vista better than Win7. And they say Vista gets no love B)

JerryW

Andy,

Check for updates and you should be running 3.01. I fixed an SMTP bug. Once fixed everyone notified that is was working.

As for vista/xp version, I am sorry but this will not be made available.

AndyWak

Andy,

Check for updates and you should be running 3.01. I fixed an SMTP bug. Once fixed everyone notified that is was working.

As for vista/xp version, I am sorry but this will not be made available.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I am running version 3.0.1.0 according to the about tab. I'm not using a pre-set or SSL, I changed the smtp port to 25 manually as it didn't change when I unticked SSL on setup.

JerryW

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I am running version 3.0.1.0 according to the about tab. I'm not using a pre-set or SSL, I changed the smtp port to 25 manually as it didn't change when I unticked SSL on setup.

Who are you using to try and send emails OUTGOING through?

AndyWak

Who are you using to try and send emails OUTGOING through?

Its pointed at my own SMTP server. I have this set up for all my email notifications. As I said earlier the test mail works and I get notifications from WHS, AV and my backup program using the same set up and account.

JerryW

Andy,

Check for updates. You will update to 3.02. This should fix your problem.