RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status

JerryW

Hmmm, is it time to add an initialization sub-routine to HSS that detects if the firewall settings are incorrect and asks the user if they want to correct them? Or maybe ask and give an option to auto-fix the registry in future? Just a thought...

Not really. You are talking about looking into the server for firewall settings, which would mean putting something on the server and/or opening it up to the client. Something I have been very strict about not doing. You can't use ping or something like that because that does not actually denote a firewall problem. Dave's problem was due to PerfectDisk 12 disabling the firewall settings on the server. Something no application should have been doing, especially without asking!

However, I am placing this along with other troubleshooting tips within the help section of HSS v3.0.

Edited by JerryW

ikon

I totally agree about the especially without asking. And I also agree about not changing firewall settings other than from the computer the changes are being made on. Perhaps you could have a small dialogue popup at the end of the install process that asks people to check their server, just in case. Adding to the Help is a great idea.

dslabby

Glad I could help a little. This has me re-thinking using PD on the server at all. I currently use Drive Bender to pool the drives on the server and the authors say there is no problem between it and any defrag program as long as you target the individual drive and not the pool drive, but they thought the positive effect of the defrag program would be minimal as Drive Bender sort of does that itself anyways. PD12 has been great on all my clients with zero problems. They have not updated the WHS version in a while, so maybe it's not really in sync with the 2011 version. I'll keep an eye on it and un-install if there seems to be any problem or no apparent benefit.

JerryW

Glad I could help a little. This has me re-thinking using PD on the server at all. I currently use Drive Bender to pool the drives on the server and the authors say there is no problem between it and any defrag program as long as you target the individual drive and not the pool drive, but they thought the positive effect of the defrag program would be minimal as Drive Bender sort of does that itself anyways. PD12 has been great on all my clients with zero problems. They have not updated the WHS version in a while, so maybe it's not really in sync with the 2011 version. I'll keep an eye on it and un-install if there seems to be any problem or no apparent benefit.

Many folks may disagree with me on this but I have been a network admin for quite some time and I have never seen a real instance where I needed a disk defragger, especially with today's technology. Of course, you will find documentation to the contrary and you will also find documentation supporting my statement. Either way, I always feel that the less you can get by with on your server the better. This way your server can handle what it was meant to handle; file, print, web, etc. services. Of course, there is one major factor; you paid for the software. It should work the way it is stated.

I totally agree about the especially without asking. And I also agree about not changing firewall settings other than from the computer the changes are being made on. Perhaps you could have a small dialogue popup at the end of the install process that asks people to check their server, just in case. Adding to the Help is a great idea.

I believe I will put something at the end denoting such. Though, I will bet my big toe that the dialog will be over looked! :unsure:

ikon

Many folks may disagree with me on this but I have been a network admin for quite some time and I have never seen a real instance where I needed a disk defragger, especially with today's technology. Of course, you will find documentation to the contrary and you will also find documentation supporting my statement. Either way, I always feel that the less you can get by with on your server the better. This way your server can handle what it was meant to handle; file, print, web, etc. services. Of course, there is one major factor; you paid for the software. It should work the way it is stated.

I agree with your viewpoint; I haven't used a defragger in some time, since the base OS's started doing it in the background themselves.

I believe I will put something at the end denoting such. Though, I will bet my big toe that the dialog will be over looked! :unsure:

You may well be right, but I also bet there will be at least a few who will read it and be grateful.

freebird317

I am testing your app Home Server Status. I am not able to get my taskbar icon to change color. It is alway green. Also if I view backup reports I am only seeing my pc. Should I see all?

JerryW

I am testing your app Home Server Status. I am not able to get my taskbar icon to change color. It is alway green. Also if I view backup reports I am only seeing my pc. Should I see all?

So it is not picking up your backups and turning blue? or red when there is no network connection? Backup reports are for the device HSS is installed on, only. v3.0, which will be out soon, allows for all devices. If you look through this forum you will find even more information where people have experienced the same and the resolutions to fix the problem. The problem is not HSS but usually a problem with the .NET framework which can be repaired/re-installed.

First thing is first, answer the above questions for me and then try to re-install/repair you .NET v4 framework.

Let me know!

freebird317

Does HSS client turn blue the the client pc is getting backed up? I was thinking that it turns blue when the server is getting backed up.

Edited by freebird317

JerryW

Does HSS client turn blue the the client pc is getting backed up? I was thinking that it turns blue when the server is getting backed up.

No. HSS was meant to bring back features from WHS v1, that Microsoft removed when they created their client for WHS 2011.

Thanks for letting me know! Cool.