index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=15

File Name: Home Server Status

File Submitter: JerryW

File Submitted: 28 Aug 2011

File Updated: 28 Apr 2012

File Category: Home Server Status

Free or Fee?: $$$ with free trial

Home Server Status: System Requirements

• UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS VERSIONS FIRST!
  • Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Connector
  • Windows Home Server 2011
  • .NET Framework v4.0
  • Windows 7 - 32/64bit

Home Server Status, is a program that shows the status of your Windows Home Server 2011. It allows at a quick glance to see if your server is connected to the network, if a backup is running, was successful, or unsuccessful on any client machine. It will even send status alerts to email or push notifications to your mobile device. Initially you will receive a 14 day trial. After your trial, a one-time payment of $6.95 will gain you a license for all computers, up to 10, connected to your Windows Home Server 2011.

1. Before you install Home Server Status you must have the Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Connector and .NET Framework v. 4.0 installed on all client machines (machines that will be running Home Server Status).
  2. If the required software is not installed on the client machines, Home Server Status will not install.
  3. After HSS is installed you can access the setting page by right clicking the icon on the taskbar.

* NOTE: If you receive a warning from Norton products about reputation, this is merely due to the fact that Norton’s community does not know my application. Also, other AV software such as Comodo will require that you add HSS to your trusted applications. In addition to this, please accept the firewall exception when notified, as this is needed for network alerts.

HSS Now uses an .xml file to store your settings. If you are running v2.1, your settings should move over without problem. Any version older than v2.1, you may find yourself re-entering your registration information and settings.

Home Server Status: Settings – Main\

1.jpg

1. Your WHS Name

1. HSS will detect your server name and place it here.
    2. [*]Your WHS Remote Web URL

1. You can change the time interval that HSS checks for server connectivity here

[*]Password Protect Settings

1. Enter a password if you want to secure HSS’s status page from other users. (THIS PAGE)

[*]Add HSS to Windows Startup Folder

1. Starts when windows starts.

[*]Use Tray Icon Instead of Taskbar

1. Places notification icons on system tray (by the clock on the taskbar).

Home Server Status: Settings – Menu Items

2.jpg

1. Task Menu: Dashboard

[*]Task Menu: Wake Up Server

1. Menu Items Screen: Show WOL Server In Menus

[*]Task Menu: Remote Desktop Connection

1. Menu Items Screen: Enable Additional Menu Items

Home Server Status: Settings – Backup Alerts

3.jpg

1. Enable Alerts From Other PCs

1. Enables alerts form other computers running HSS with this option enabled to send the following alerts.

[*]Prowl API Key

1. You may obtain a free Prowl API key from http://www.prowlapp.com
                    2. Once signed up, go to the API keys tab, go to the Generate a new API key section and generate your API key.
                    3. Copy and paste the generated key in to the textbox.
                    4. To recieve push notification on your iOS mobile device you must purchase and install the Prowl application from the Apple App Store.

[*]SMTP Config

1. Allows email messages to be sent of the Backup status.

password2.pngprogress.jpg

Click here to download this file

2. Backup starting
                3. Backup Completed Successfully
                4. Backup Completed Unsuccessfully.

1. If titles or paths are left blank (nothing is listed) items will not be shown in context menu.

1. Menu Items Screen: Show Dashboard In Menus

jeffla

For anyone who hasn't tried HSS, download it and give it a try. It is an awesome upgrade to the OEM Connector and for me has replaced the OEM connector completely.

Dave

Welcome to HomeServerShow forums and downloads Jerry. It's good to have you here.

texasPI

Looks great. I'm running the trial as we speak and I can already tell I want to purchase it. One problem: I don't use Paypal anymore. I know I can pay with a credit card without needing an account but I'd rather not have my information processed through Paypal. I had a bad experience with them a few years back and I choose to not do business with them at all.

Have you considered an alternative payment processor? I certainly don't want you to go through the trouble just for me if you have not considered it. Or maybe I can mail you a money order or cashier's check?

Gosh, I hate being a stick in the mud but that's how much I dislike Paypal! <_<

JediTim

I am glad to see this...I will install this one tonight.

JerryW

Looks great. I'm running the trial as we speak and I can already tell I want to purchase it. One problem: I don't use Paypal anymore. I know I can pay with a credit card without needing an account but I'd rather not have my information processed through Paypal. I had a bad experience with them a few years back and I choose to not do business with them at all.

Have you considered an alternative payment processor? I certainly don't want you to go through the trouble just for me if you have not considered it. Or maybe I can mail you a money order or cashier's check?

Gosh, I hate being a stick in the mud but that's how much I dislike Paypal! <_<

You know, I have no real feelings toward or against PayPal. Its just the one I chose. Mainly, because I have been with them since the beginning and using with Ebay. I too have experienced some pains with PayPal. However, it would be somewhat of a task for me to switch payment methods right now. I would like to accommodate you but I would rather not start handling checks, of any kind.

Jerry

ikon

I'm not at the stage where I've switched over my PC backups to 2011 (and I may just keep my v1 box running just for PC backups and nothing else). If I do move the backups over to 2011, however, you can count on me buying a copy of HSS.

sbussinger

Nice idea to replace the standard connector icon!

A problem though -- it really doesn't work well at other than 96 dpi screen settings. I run at 125% (what used to be called Large Fonts mode in earlier versions of Windows or 120 dpi). The dialogs are almost unusable and the backup percentages don't really fit in system tray icon.

Here's an example:

whsstatus.png

JerryW

Nice idea to replace the standard connector icon!

A problem though -- it really doesn't work well at other than 96 dpi screen settings. I run at 125% (what used to be called Large Fonts mode in earlier versions of Windows or 120 dpi). The dialogs are almost unusable and the backup percentages don't really fit in system tray icon.

Here's an example:

whsstatus.png

I will look into this. I have to admit, I did not give much thought to higher-dpi. This could be something to deal with.

Jerry

Edited by JerryW