RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX485 (Newegg deal) - Factory reset, rebuild of server

dabretty

Hi guys -

I was just wondering if anybody has a feel for approximately how long a "factory reset" (server rebuild) using HP's CDs takes, on the EX485?

I bought the Newegg ShellShocker last week and it arrived today. It was a "recertified" server from them, and I could see green stickers attached to the outside of the case as well as the internal hard drive. My guess is this indicates they replaced the original hard drive. But upon turning it on, I got the blue status light and drive light simultaneously flickering between dull and bright, with HPs PC-side software unable to find the server. I went down the path of doing a factory reset (poking a paper clip into the front right at boot). The "recovery" application from HP found the server then, and I elected to do a factory reset (assuming that the replacement hard drive was just completely empty as delivered). That was about 100 minutes ago, and the "rebuilding server" application shows very little progress (5%?) and I can hear the CD in my PC spin up from time to time and then go into a more idle state.

Any ideas? Do I just need to let this thing sit there overnight?

Thanks,

Brett

After about four hours (and a slightly moving progress bar) I went to bed. I woke up to find that it was all complete. I did some searching online and found this to be a fairly common problem, kind of like it was a bottleneck talking with Microsoft servers or something.

Just starting to experiment around a bit now, as it is finally finishing its updates.

Alright, it seems my problem is with absolutely horrendous transfer speeds with the EX485. Last night's factory reset said it'd take "up to 60 minutes" and appears to have taken at least 8 hours.

Now, as I tried transferring some files to it (via a shared folder) I see that I am getting about 285kBps (~2.3Mbps). All of this over a wired gigabit connection. I tried swapping cables, with no luck. RDCing into the server shows that it clearly thinks it's at 1.0 Gbps.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

That is pretty bad. How's the system usage on the server? Are the hard drives balanced? Also, copying large files will generally go faster than quantities of smaller one's. Do you get the same speeds when using multiple computers as clients? Do you have PP3 on the WHS? What about the rest of the updates?

CPU utilization is low (< 5%) with all of this going on. It's also a single hard drive system (so far), just a single 750 GB drive. The files I was attempting to copy were approximately 250 MB in size, each.

Update-wise, I don't know my way around the system enough yet to figure out what updates it has or has not taken yet (including PP3). It has taken a lot (I think), but then again its first night of installation that should have taken "up to 60 minutes" took some factor (8x?) longer. So my perception of it updating might be that it's actually been doing a lot of nothing.

At this point, I'm about ready to return this thing. I mean, my PCs here in the house can communicate faster with devices far away on the internet than this thing. I figure that does not bode well for a device that promises so much but was delivered to me with so many apparent problems.

Thanks for the suggestions ... I'll play around a bit more this evening after I get home from work.

Alright, enough of this. I made sure absolutely all add-ins were uninstalled/non-operable (including the media collector, and the twonky server) and there still was no performance increase. Its estimation completion time for a 229 MB file copy is 24 minutes (about 1.27 Mbps, or just a hair better than 0.1% of the theoretical maximum in a gigabit link).

I'm now going to go down the path of Newegg RMA/replacement. I'm very disappointed in my first attempt at a Windows home server!

Slow down a bit man. We can help you troubleshoot this. To see whether there are updates, open the console, go to settings, then click the "update now" button. This will tell you if there are updates available. If you go to the "resources" tab of the settings, it will tell you what version of WHS you are running.

So what about some of those other questions we had for you? Is the transfer the same speed when using multiple computers? How about the computer backups, did those run right? What type of network setup do you have?

Thanks for the reply.

Updates-wise, it says (at this point) that there are not any available. The version number (it's off right now) was 2.5.something if I remember correctly.

Multiple computers all had/have the same transfer speeds with this server.

Backups did not complete, as I was advised by the console manager in my desktop's task bar.

Network-wise, it's nothing out of the ordinary. A TrendNet TEW-639GR router with gigabit (CAT6) wiring straight to this server, as well as a desktop. Two other laptops floating around, but that sustain much faster transfers in and among themselves (and the desktop) than going back to this server. All of that said, I obviously had to point the finger at this box. I tried several different ethernet cables into the router, as well as switching ports in the actual router.