RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using Hitachi Deskstar 3TB Drives with WHS2011 on 4 Yr Old Dell XPS 410

miker

Good afternoon, all.

I am re-positioning my four year old Dell XPS 410 tower (4 megs memory, dual core Intel processor) with a new Hitachi Deskstar 3T internal hard drive.

I've installed the drive in the Dell, for the moment as the only drive on the system, and installed WHS2011 and run Windows Update to bring the operating system to current levels. I also installed IE9.

While installing WHS2011 the OS reported only one drive on the system, of 768M capacity.

Hitachi offers a utility that allows the full disk to be recognized on Windows OSs. That utility is at http://www.paragon-software.com/hitachi/index.html but that page also warns: The Hitachi GPT Disk Manager for Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" internal hard drives does not support RAID configurations and the resulting hard disk drive cannot be used as a boot drive.

My plan has been to use two of these 3T drives in the tower, but now it appears that neither can be configured to be recognized by WHS2011.

So, can I use two of these 3T drives in my box as the only installed drives? How do I get them recognized and configured, with one of them being the boot drive? Is there something I'm missing, and can you help? Thanks in advance. miker

From what I've read, To be able to use a 3TB drive as a boot drive, the motherboard must support UEFI which your 4yr old Dell does not, also the OS must support it. Only Windows 7 win do.

Also, currently not even WHS2011 can backup a PC whose primary OS drive is 3TB, it will backup a 3TB drive and restore it but not a 3TB OS drive, something gets messed up.

So your better off using a 2.5" for the OS in WHS2011 and add the 2 3TB to the pool. WHS2011 will format the drive with 2 partitions, 1 2TB and 1 768Gig. That's because if/when you choose to backup the drive, WHS2011 cannot backup a drive share larger that 2TB. You can use Disk Management to format the whole drive as 1 3TB GPT partition but then you will not be able to backup that drive.

• Like 1

You can use Disk Management to format the whole drive as 1 3TB GPT partition but then you will not be able to backup that drive.

But you could RoboCopy data from the 3TB drive to a backup drive, correct?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• rickU2D
      By rickU2D
      Hi all, 
      New to the forum and also New Gen 8 owner. I was hoping some one could clarify some info on the drive bays/on board controller. From what I have read so far, the 1st and 2nd bays are 6g and the 3rd and 4th are 3g (Sata speed?). I have also read somewhere that this is because of "wiring" (of the drive cage). Does this mean that if I added a SAS controller card (HP240 Smart Host) and connected the cable to it, the drives would still operate at those speeds? I just happened to have the HP240 lying around and thought this might improve the speed and allow me to use the onboard controller for boot and cache drives.
      Opinions/input from those more experienced would be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,
    • g725s
      By g725s
      http://www.frys.com/product/6943757

4TB HGST Deskstar CoolSpin Hard Drive Retail Kit $99 @Frys (w/emailed code through 1/23)

Get the code in the email which you can signup for here: http://www.frys.com/workflow/AcctMaint/fryspromocom/subc.jsp

But I went in today and got one without the emailed code by just going to the customer service desk and telling them about the deal.  I had to point out the drive in the ad posted on the wall to let him know which drive it was, but after getting the SKU# the guy was able to look up the code for me and he wrote it down and the SKU# and told me where to go find the drive in the store, and told me to take it to the cashier with the code.  Worked for me.

The code I got in the Sunday email was 3645375 but the code he gave me started with a 4, so I guess there are different codes for the same item.

Good drive: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

I have had 4 running full time for almost 3 years or more.  Just wanted to get a matching backup just in case.
    • cskenney
      By cskenney
      Newegg has the Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB Intellipower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" internal hard drives on sale. 

They are marked down to $159.99 but using promo code HDPR72SALE20 gets you another $20 off.

Final price is $139.99 w/ Free Shipping.  Limit of 10.

When I checked this out I had to enter my email address first in order to use the promo code but I don't think that matters since I am assuming most people are actually signed up for Newegg's mailing list.