RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I need a video card

PINKTULIP

Hi Guys

I have just built a new machine for video editing, and am really happy with its performance except for one area, the video card.

I was working on the basis that for video editing, a lot of the grunt work is done by the processor.

My build is:

Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz on a Gigabyte GA-Z68 UD3H-B3 motherboard.

I have 16Gb of Gskill ram and have the Apps and OS on an OCZ Vertex3 SSD.

I have a further 64Gb SSD as a 'Scratch disk' and a 1.5Tb Black Caviar drive for storage.

I currently run 2 x 17" Dell TFTs directly from the motherboard 1 on the RGB and the other on the DVI outputs, and I have 2 main reasons to upgrade to a discreet video card.

On the Windows Experience Index my scores are as follows.

Processor - 7.6

Ram - 7.8

Graphics - 5.9

Gaming graphics - 5.1

Primary Hard disk 7.9

Base Score 5.1

I would like to improve performance, and I would also like to run 3 screens, (extended desktop not eyefinity or similar)

Any advice on what card to put in this box would be much appreciated, I do not want to spend any more than approx £150 ($250)

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks guys

Pete

Depending on what codec and software you are editing with/in you will see either zero performance gain or potentially performance loss when adding a discrete graphics card. That said, any nVidia card from the 400 series on up will give you CUDA beneifts in the preview window of many NLE applications (i.e. Premiere, etc.) but no significant help (yet) in the rendering. Conversly, those programs that would use the Intel acceleration fom the onboard graphics (Quick Sync) will lose that significant speed boost, unless you are using a Z68 chipset with the proper drivers. This is only used in a limited number of applications right now, and only with MPEG4 (H.264/AVC specifically)as the codec, but that will likely change in the near future. Just as another example the HD3000 grphics chip on your 2700K can decode up to 5 x 1080p h.264 streams at once, while an nVidia GTX 460 can do only 3, and an AMD 6870 can do only 1.

So the question is what you are trying to improve with a discrete card?

If you use PowerDirector for your video editing and rendering you will see improved performance with nVidia cards due to CUDA.

I agree with Timekills. Quick Sync is presently the best choice for rendering. If you are looking to just speed up graphics in games and such, or just a better WI score go for the 560 TI or the 6950. My experience with Power Director is that it will benefit from all three of technologies but does not fully exploit any of them so they are not taxed anyway.

Thanks guys, that all seems to make sense.

I am using Adobe Premiere, and would like to stick with it as I am most familiar with Adobe products. My business is photography, so have years of experience in Photoshop, however I am getting asked more and more to provide video.

I have heard good things about Power Director, so may try it just for the hell of it.

Aside from performance I would like to run 3 screens, is there an easy way of doing this? I certainly do not want se a drop in performance as has been suggested may happen if I stay with Premiere.

AMD cards that support eyefinity will all support multi monitor however at least "one" must be a display port.

AMD cards that support eyefinity will all support multi monitor however at least "one" must be a display port.

Yeah and, unfortunately, on my AMD 9670 it's the DP monitor that most often 'loses sync' with the system. Pulling the DP cable and plugging it back in fixes it, but still......

Mind you, I haven't had to do this for a fair while now; maybe an MS update fixed it?