RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with Lian-Li EX-503B and backing up options.

Shoop

The software for the 503 will build the RAID partition and I would install that software on whichever physical box the unit is attached to.

Not sure what you are asking about with regards to the 2TB and 3TB limits. This is a RAID Array which will be seen as one volume by the server, not individual drives. Only the J-Micron software will know the specifics of the array, such as individual drive sizes.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry if I wasn't clear on my question. If I understand correctly the largest drive WHS will partition is 2TB and anything over that will be partitioned separately. Since the raid box will contain 5 x 2tb drives and will effectively be a 10TB drive will WHS 2011 give me problems recognizing this as a single drive since it is over the 2TB size limit.

Sorry for my ignorance regarding the raid and external raid box. It's all a little new to me.

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry if I wasn't clear on my question. If I understand correctly the largest drive WHS will partition is 2TB and anything over that will be partitioned separately. Since the raid box will contain 5 x 2tb drives and will effectively be a 10TB drive will WHS 2011 give me problems recognizing this as a single drive since it is over the 2TB size limit.

Sorry for my ignorance regarding the raid and external raid box. It's all a little new to me.

The largest drive is not 2T only when you attach via the console. To keep it simple, here is what I would do. Install the software for the 503 on a standalone PC, install the drives and create you raid. When it is done, create a GPT partition, and format it. Then unplug it and plug it into your server and you are good to go. If you want to do it straight on the server, go to about the 1 minute mark of the video to see how to create a larger than 2T drive in 2011.

Great, did not realize that to be the case. I had heard WHS 2011 had a 2TB limit and didn't think any further. This method seems pretty straight forward so I will give it a go when my ex-503 gets here.

Thanks again.

A few questions for EX-503 owners:

1. is there a command line interface for RAID administration (- the manual only mentions JMicron's GUI)?

2. is there a sleep mode? If so, does the unit auto-sense host power-on status or does it time-out? Can it be remotely turned off or go to sleep?

3. can you confirm that once in RAID mode it does not require a Port Multiplier feature of host's eSATA port?

4. how much power it draws when active (and/or asleep)?

5. have there been any firmware or software updates from JMicron or Lian Li?

6. can vouch for succesful RAID5 rebuild?

7. is the unit noisy?

8. since EX-503 uses jMicron's JMB393, it's USB3.0 interface can never be faster than eSATA 3Gb/s, right?

Thanks.

Edited by AlexF

A few questions for EX-503 owners:

1. is there a command line interface for RAID administration (- the manual only mentions JMicron's GUI)?

2. is there a sleep mode? If so, does the unit auto-sense host power-on status or does it time-out? Can it be remotely turned off or go to sleep?

3. can you confirm that once in RAID mode it does not require a Port Multiplier feature of host's eSATA port?

4. how much power it draws when active (and/or asleep)?

5. have there been any firmware or software updates from JMicron or Lian Li?

6. can vouch for succesful RAID5 rebuild?

7. is the unit noisy?

8. since EX-503 uses jMicron's JMB393, it's USB3.0 interface can never be faster than eSATA 3Gb/s, right?

Thanks.

Here is my attempt at some responses.

1. Not aware of any but I typically do not use so I have researched it. I would doubt it though.

2. Did not see one, but to be fair, I setup it up, uninstalled the JMicron software have been running it ever since in a closet. I can try this weekend to re-instlal the software and look closer at the settings. I typically do not like sleep modes on RAID and very few RAID setups use them effectively.

3. No port replicator is required.

4. 24 Watts with 5 drives

5. Last time I checked (about 3 weeks) there where not.

6. Can not vouch for it, have not had a drive gone bad or ran a test. It is a JMIcron RAID 5 controller, but you have to decide whether or not you trust RAID 5.

7. Unit is very quiet. It does have a huge low RPM fan but is barely audible. Lian-Li fans are usually pretty quiet. The power supply is fan-less and is external.

• 2 weeks later...
tinkererguy

You may want to consider flashing your JMicron USB 3.0 controller, especially if you may run into the common issue of the large external drive letter disappearing on you during your overnight backups.

See details I wrote up recently here (sorry about the screenshots, gotta redo those without the giant/accidental watermarks when I get a chance):

http://tinkertry.com/copyfolderspreservingdatetimestamps/