RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with Lian-Li EX-503B and backing up options.

Shoop

I recently finished my server and is as follows:

My server:

Core I3 2100T

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3

8Gb ram

Intel Gigabit nic

C-D: WD 500GB OS drive

E: Samsung 2TB- (Docs, Pictures, Videos)

F: Samsung 2TB- Blu Ray rips folder -drive is full

G: Samsung 2TB- blu ray rips folder - Drive is full

H: Samsung 2TB- blu ray rips and DVD folders - drive has about 1TB free.

LG 12x Blu ray burner

Coolermaster case that houses 6 drives

I needed a backup solution so I purchased a Lian-Li EX-503B and am looking for backup options. My MB's sata ports are maxed out and I needed an external solution to do backups. I plan to hook the EX-503b via USB 3.

I am really only mainly concerned about backing up my movies (F,G,H drives).

I was thinking of filling the EX-503B with drives and setting up raid 5 and just moving all my movies over to the EX-503B. Two questions about this setup:

1. The drives I will use will be Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB HD204UI. Can these drives function properly in a raid?

2. Will movies stream properly on the network to my HTPC if the movies folder is located on the external EX-503B?

I am also open to other ways of setting this up. I've worked with raid before but have very little experience so I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks

Edited by Shoop

I had a bad experience with RAID so I don't use it. RAID isn't considered a backup solution. RAID needs to be backed up. I'd setup your Lian-Li EX-503B as JBOD and use Allway Sync. If you're not having any problems streaming I'd leave it the way it is.

In this case the external device would be considered a backup solution since there is a primary source and RAID 5 would be a good choice. The movies wll stream just fine from the external source but why not stream them form the main box? That is one less connection to go thru.

Now, if you intend on moving the entire collection from the main box to the Lian-Li, a RAID 5 is still better becasue as it is now, you lose a drive and you have lost everything on that drive. With RAID 5, you still have the data intact with the loss of only one drive.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes your drives will be fine and I agree with jmwills that Raid 5 would be best. While Raid 5 isn't a backup, it does provide some protection with one parity drive (meaning one drive can fail and you don't loose any data).

I recently finished my server and is as follows:

My server:

Core I3 2100T

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3

8Gb ram

Intel Gigabit nic

C-D: WD 500GB OS drive

E: Samsung 2TB- (Docs, Pictures, Videos)

F: Samsung 2TB- Blu Ray rips folder -drive is full

G: Samsung 2TB- blu ray rips folder - Drive is full

H: Samsung 2TB- blu ray rips and DVD folders - drive has about 1TB free.

LG 12x Blu ray burner

Coolermaster case that houses 6 drives

I needed a backup solution so I purchased a Lian-Li EX-503B and am looking for backup options. My MB's sata ports are maxed out and I needed an external solution to do backups. I plan to hook the EX-503b via USB 3.

I am really only mainly concerned about backing up my movies (F,G,H drives).

I was thinking of filling the EX-503B with drives and setting up raid 5 and just moving all my movies over to the EX-503B. Two questions about this setup:

1. The drives I will use will be Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB HD204UI. Can these drives function properly in a raid?

2. Will movies stream properly on the network to my HTPC if the movies folder is located on the external EX-503B?

I am also open to other ways of setting this up. I've worked with raid before but have very little experience so I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks

The answer to both questions is absolutely. The 503 is very fast and will do a nice job streaming your movies via attached storage through your server. Keep in mind that there will be no backup. In my case, I created a RAID inside my case and used Alwaysync to sync up all my movies and other files. It is set to run every day so I always have two copies of what is on my server without the concern of 2T limit. Either way it will do a good job for you as I have been very pleased in my first 4 weeks of ownership. As for other options, adding a raid card, filling your drive bays and adding a 5.25 to 3.5 cage of some kind to add 3-4 drives is also an option. I would provide you will ample internal storage then you could use the 503 for backup. Remember the RAID 5 in your system using a card is scale-able but the 503 is not. Maxing out your case first would be a better choice and using the external as a true backup. Just some thoughts.

Thanks everyone for your help.

pcdoc- After thinking about it this will probably be my best solution. I still have some room on my servers internal harddrives to play with. I will use the 503b as a backup solution. I have a few questions regarding allwaysync.

1. my server has no raid setup in it. Will it be a problem backing up a non raid sysetem to the ex503b that is raid?

2. With my current setup and using the ex503b along with allwaysync the 2tb limitation will not be an issue?

3. Would I actually install allwaysync on the server and run it from the server?

I appreciate all the help.

Not to answer for the Doc, but what you are backing up using AllWay Sync are folders and it does not care RAID to Non-Raid or vice versa. You are selecting targets which could be entire drives or folders. The customization to do what you like is one of the nice features. A number of profiles utilizing different targets can be created and set to run on a schedule. The 2TB limit will not come into play as you are not really running a backup but rather copying data.

As far as where to run it from, I would prefer to run from where the source data is located so as to minimize CPU cycles on the server. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks everyone for your help.

pcdoc- After thinking about it this will probably be my best solution. I still have some room on my servers internal harddrives to play with. I will use the 503b as a backup solution. I have a few questions regarding allwaysync.

1. my server has no raid setup in it. Will it be a problem backing up a non raid sysetem to the ex503b that is raid?

2. With my current setup and using the ex503b along with allwaysync the 2tb limitation will not be an issue?

3. Would I actually install allwaysync on the server and run it from the server?

I appreciate all the help.

1. jmwills is correct. this is not a problem. In essence you are backing up smaller drives to one large drive.

2. Again jmwills is correct. Allwaysync is folder based syncing and does not use a VHD so it can be as large as you want. It is not a backup program but rather a folder copying program.

3. This varies. You can do this a bunch of different ways. For maximum performance, and assuming you have the 503 attached to your server. You can set it up with one command line in a scheduled task to run once per day. After the initial sync, the process is very quick as it only updates what you have. Mine take less than 10 mins a day and I have set to run when I am not at home. The other option is if you have the 503 on another computer, then run it from there. To simplify, it is best to run it from the computer the 503 is attached to avoid having to share the drive and for maximum performance. One last thing, if look at the how too videos on my blog you will see that you should not fear raid too much. Don't rule it out yet as it provides extra protection.

jmwills and pcdoc- thank you very much for the help. This is great news.

I will have the 503 hooked directly to the server. I will need to install it on the server then. I can just set it to allwaysync to autosync in the morning hours when i'm asleep. I leave my server on 24/7.

pcdoc-I will definetly check out your blog. Have already viewed some videos and they were very helpful.

Edited by Shoop

Once I have the raid array set on the EX-503B should i partition and format it using the WHS 2011 computer or should I use my Windows 7 machine? Not sure if the 2TB max hard drive limit applies to external USB 3 drives or not.

Thanks