RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone have any good step by step info on rooting android?

Guest no-control

From what I know, there is no one way to root an android. It is different for each device. Some easier than others.

The best place that I know of to find info on rooting a particular device is http://forum.xda-developers.com/. The have individual forums for loads of devices.

Of the 4 android devices that I have, I've only rooted the Nook Color. For the rest, I haven't felt the need to do anything that I couldn't do unrooted.

If you're using an HTC device, checkout unrevoked.com. As for ROMs, once rooted, download ROM Manager from the market and you can do backups of your phone as is and then download and install ROMs. I'm using MIUI as well but I had to install Launcher Pro because I could not stand the pages upon pages of icons. I much prefer an app drawer. Other than that, MIUI is my favorite thus far with CM7 a close second.

EDIT: What I like about ROM Manager is that it only shows ROMs available for your device. I like how you can manage backup names from there to name them more specifically. Like "Stock ROM Backup Dont Delete!" such as in my case because I'm a big dummy. :lol: I believe ROM manager is developed by the same person/s that develop Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Edited by texasPI

And once you get to Root, Root Explorer will enable you to access the system files and apps. I thought about taking

out the junk from the original Droid X ROM, but it was still just too slow and ugly. Titanium Backup is also one of the

best root level backup programs.

In short I was able to use RDS Lite to access the phone from my desktop. It allows you to wipe the phone, install the

current factory ROM. Z4 Root in my case worked to root the phone. Then ROM manager to backup, manage, install

and switch between ROM's. Root Explorer above to clean up the installs if needed. It will allow you to uninstall apps, etc.

or just freeze them (keeps them without them being active).

I like MIUI, but like texasPI I miss the app drawer, but that is about it, the rest of the ROM is beautiful, fast with limitless

features to customize it. Liberty ROM, Cyanogen, Rubix, GummyJar and Apex are also popular.

And once you get to Root, Root Explorer will enable you to access the system files and apps. I thought about taking

out the junk from the original Droid X ROM, but it was still just too slow and ugly. Titanium Backup is also one of the

best root level backup programs.

In short I was able to use RDS Lite to access the phone from my desktop. It allows you to wipe the phone, install the

current factory ROM. Z4 Root in my case worked to root the phone. Then ROM manager to backup, manage, install

and switch between ROM's. Root Explorer above to clean up the installs if needed. It will allow you to uninstall apps, etc.

or just freeze them (keeps them without them being active).

I like MIUI, but like texasPI I miss the app drawer, but that is about it, the rest of the ROM is beautiful, fast with limitless

features to customize it. Liberty ROM, Cyanogen, Rubix, GummyJar and Apex are also popular.

I also just remembered that the browser in MIUI will not show the mobile version of this site when the user agent is set to default. I have to set the user agent to iPhone to get it to show me the mobile formatted version of the site.

Guest no-control

Finally got around to looking deeper into this rooted my Droid! I appreciate all of the help

I Used Clockwork recovery. Then installed cyanogenmod 7 and a few others finally settled on Chevy SS v5.5 for now. Performance and functionality improvement for sure, but man is it a pain to have to wipe everytime. Need a spare just to play with then load it onto the actual device.

This is just going to be temporary until I can either score a better droid, prime perhaps? Or I may finally leave VZ for a cheaper network like sprint or ATT. Depends on what mango has to offer in the hardware dept.

I stuck with MIUI, but added Launcher Pro Plus as I couldn't stand pages of icon in lieu of the

app drawer. Add the facebook, twitter and contacts widgets on their individual pages with Fancy

Widget Home on the home screen and I have a clean functional install.

Thank goodness I have a 32GB SD card for backing up all the different ROM's and changes.