RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need New SSD for HTPC

ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I bought a HTPC from pcdoc to get ready for my HDHomerun Prime. It should be shipping any day and my SSD in the HTPC died a couple days ago.

I can by a new SSD for the HTPC or move a 120GB SSD from my desktop.

Of course a new 60GB SSD for the HTPC would be much cheaper. But, I am wondering what makes the most sense, not necessarily cents. I have two 120 GB Vertex 2 (sata II) SSD's in Raid 0. I can use one of them in the HTPC and buy a new 240 GB+ Sata III SSD. Of course the cost difference is $95 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227725) versus $490 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227707).

What would you do and what drive would you buy (not between the two I listed, just what drive would you buy if you were in the market)?

Looks like SLC is going away given newegg only has 2 of them and over 200 MLC types.

Guest no-control

Depends on the availability of funds for me. I have mostly older indilinx Barefoot based SSDs. I skipped sandforce.

So If I'm tight I'm shopping for a used 120gb SF SSD or if I have to a new 60gb and leaving my RAID0 intact.

If I'm flush. Then I drop coin for the 240GB SF2 SSD and populate lesser systems with the old array SSDs.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Lets assume cost is not an issue on this. While it is, I tend to look at what is the best option long term and leave cost out of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, buying a Vertex 2 240 to replace a 2x 120 raid will not get you anything in terms of performance. Only going the to the Vertex 3/Force 3 would buy you performance but of course there are risks with the new gen. Unless you are having issues with your raid and want to break it down, I would leave it at least for now and buy a 60+ SSD for your HTPC. I recently used a crucial M4 that was pretty nice on read speeds especially if you have a 6gig port, but not so good on write speeds which should not effect an HTPC to much. It makes for a good choice option for SSDs on an HTPC.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Well, buying a Vertex 2 240 to replace a 2x 120 raid will not get you anything in terms of performance. Only going the to the Vertex 3/Force 3 would buy you performance but of course there are risks with the new gen. Unless you are having issues with your raid and want to break it down, I would leave it at least for now and buy a 60+ SSD for your HTPC. I recently used a crucial M4 that was pretty nice on read speeds especially if you have a 6gig port, but not so good on write speeds which should not effect an HTPC to much. It makes for a good choice option for SSDs on an HTPC.

http://www.amazon.co...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It is all that you need for a HTPC.

I agree with both of you but, given I have this passion to over build, I am torn between buying the latest and greatest for my desktop and financial responsibiltity with a cheap 60 GB vertex 2 drive.

Thats what I put in mine and I never looked back. I mean, its an HTPC that serves media and that's it. I can sympathiize with wanting the latest and greatest but make it count unless you've got dollars to burn. If that's the case, I'll PM you with with bank codes. :)

If you do get the Vertex 3, get the Max IOPS version. I has a different nand in it vs the reduced write version of the standard V3.

ImTheTypeOfGuy
If you do get the Vertex 3, get the Max IOPS version. I has a different nand in it vs the reduced write version of the standard V3.

Unfortunately, I can't find a Max IOPS version at 60 GB.