RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
awraynor

PogoPlug only $30, regularly $100

awraynor

I have tried PogoPlug and found it to be an interesting alternative to Dropbox, etc.

It provides a software only, or software/hardware combo via it's own line or

in conjunction with Buffalo. It's main benefit is that there is no recurring fee, while

providing a lot of functionality.

For the next few days while supplies last it is on sale for $30 vs. the usual $100.

Basically, add your external drive to the PogoPlug and you have a "Dropbox" that

is as big as you want.

http://www.cnet.com/2748-32333_1-1231.html

timekills

Basically, add your external drive to the PogoPlug and you have a "Dropbox" that

is as big as you want.

It still has to be streamed from your home PCs over your upstream conenction, correct? I mean the files aren't cached "on the cloud" somewhere? SO for the vast majority of Internet users in the US that have 512Kbps or < upstream, is this really useful, or am I missing something? TO me the advantage of Dropbox, or other cloud based storage is that the files AREN'T on my home storage so my access to them away from home is faster, and if I lose my home server those files are still safe/backed up.

awraynor

If you access your cloud files this likely isn't for you. If you want to avoid a monthly fee, still have your files at your disposal and not depend

on the Dropbox schema, this is a reasonable alternative.

My scheme is Win7 on SSD, files on internal 1TB drive, which is backed up to WHS with important files replicated on the shares for easy access.

The 1TB will be replicated on PogoPlug for remote access via the free android/ipad pogoplug app. I also have some of the very important files

on the cloud backed up via Wuala for free by sharing drive space. For vital docs that I need remotely I also save them via Evernote.

It wouldn't work for everyone, but it works for me.

timekills

I guess I need to do a bit more RTFM, because I'm still not tracking what you mean by "replicated on PogoPlug for remote access." The files are copied to another hard drive connected to a PogoPlug device and are available for web sharing through that device - is that how it works? So it is a NAS that provides Internet access and streaming? Or does it actually back any files up to an external (i.e. web) storage?

awraynor

No internet backup. It basically make the external drive (as big as you want) that you provide network/internet connected. You then use the iPad, iPhone, Android, PC/Mac, PS3, XBox 360 etc. software or any browser to connect to that drive. The pro version of the software allows you to stream audio/video from your drive to connected devices. It has a syncing option like Dropbox, although I don't think it is quite as "elegant".

Here is a nice breakdown for feaures: http://www.pogoplug.com/products.html

The newer option is using their software to dedicate a portion of your PC as a "drive", with all remote features available. This of course necessitates your PC being on at all times.

Once again, I want to be able to access my stuff, not that I do frequently. It's a one time fee vs. a monthly fee. I probably shouldn't be as soured toward Dropbox as I am, but that security snafu in my book was pretty big, and I still am not perfectly clear on their internal accessibility issues either.

If I have confused you even more, they have a video on their site. http://www.pogoplug.com/

You can even use the free version of their software on your PC, which I think is full featured without the remote audio/video streaming.

I also enjoyed your spot on the recent BYOB podcast, you have some nice hardware.

texasPI

Well it looks like Netgear now sells router with what is essentially PogoPlug abilities.

Wish I had seen this before I bought my new router and the PogoPlug.

http://www.netgear.c...readyshare.aspx

My two year old Netgear router (WNR3500L) has readyshare. I forgot it had it until I clicked the link and saw it listed as one of the model's that supports readyshare. I recall trying it but it wasn't a very good experience. I can't remember why now.

EDIT: Ah...it looks like the cloud feature and apps are only available on the 3800. All the other routers only share within your LAN. I almost pulled the trigger on the Pogo when you first posted the link because I had wanted one for some time but I couldn't justify it. I'm kind of regretting not buying one just for fun.

Edited by texasPI

ikon

I guess it was only a matter of time before the 'big boys' started adding these features to their routers, and basically put pogoplug out of business.