RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jvk

Wife is upset, no sound coming out of Line Out or Headphone Jacks

jvk

So I had some old parts laying around and I found this case that I had to have. The project will be to get a PC up and running and eventually upgrade the various components to turn it into a rock solid HD video editing machine. Now for what ever reason I can not get any sound to come out of the Line Out or Headphone jack and I'm stuck. The line out port does not show up in the volume control options. The HDMI and SPDIF (digital audio) jacks work fine but the problem is that I need to plug in a pair of speakers. Even a USB pair of headphones work ok. Hopefully you guys have some suggestions to get this project back on track. Here is what I have tried so far...

• Looked in the device manager, not there
  • uninstalled the drivers and scanned for hardware changes
  • re-installed the OS (Windows 7)
  • poked around the BIOS and nothing in there was pertinent to the audio issue

I have noticed that there are some other strange problems with the system... the PC will sometimes thinks it is connected to two different networks at once when it boots up which will break the internet connection to the machine although it can see the local network fine. Disabling the LAN port and trouble shooting it will take care of the issue. Sometimes the DVD drive disappears completely in explorer and sometimes explorer crashes when I try to view the contents of the DVD drive.

So as you can imagine, the wife is not happy at all and I am running out of time to get this fixed. Here is the hardware on the machine.

• 4 GB mystery laptop memory
  • Jetway NC81-LF mini itx motherboard
  • AMD Athlon x64 2.8ghz dual core processor
  • 64 bit windows 7 pro OS
  • Mystery slot loading DVD drive
  • 160 GB 2.5" Seagate drive
  • Silverstone Fortress FT03 case

I am wondering if I have a bad hard drive or a bad Motherboard. This is my second board, the first one was DOA and returned. I will be upgrading all these parts (except the case) over the next year or so, but it would be nice to have a fully functional build in the meantime.

Any ideas?

jvk

msawyer91

My laptop has both a wired (gigabit) and wireless network connection. I prefer the wired when at home, because wired gigabit is far faster than 54g wireless. At home I have two networks--one is the primary and the other is the development/testing network, which my Hyper-V virtual machines use. My laptop's wired connection is connected to the primary, and the wireless connects to the development. Of course, the development is just a wireless router behind the primary network's router, so both networks actually have Internet access.

In my experience, however, I've found that if two network adapters both have a default gateway set, you're going to have trouble accessing one of them. I'm not a TCP/IP expert, but that is supposedly the case, but I can't explain it. So what I do is go into the Network and Sharing Center (I have Win 7 x64 as well), and go into Adapter Settings. Press Alt to make the menu bar appear, and then choose Advanced > Advanced Settings. This allows you to change the network adapter binding order. I moved the wired connection to the top--that makes Windows favor that connection over all others (the wireless connection by default was on top). If you have both wired and wireless connections in active use, you will want to do this.

As for the hard drive, download HD Sentinel (www.hdsentinel.com). That is one of the best tools I've seen for checking disk health. It'll tell you the SMART attributes, whether or not you have bad sectors, etc.

You certainly could have a bad mobo. I'm not familiar with Jetway so I don't know if they're good or bad. If Windows was acting wonky right after installing it, most likely it's going to be bad hardware or incorrect drivers. If you're sure you've got all the right drivers installed, and HD Sentinel says the disk is in perfect health, I'd start looking at the memory, mobo and/or processor, although if the processor was dying, the machine would blue screen a lot or just lock up. Likewise with bad memory.

jvk

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably spend tomorrow evening trying out the Network and Hard drive suggestions. Regarding the network issues, there are two LAN ports on the Mobo, however I have one disabled. I wonder if it is getting confused somehow... There is also a Wifi header on the board, but I do not have the little wifi card attached to the header. The memory could very well be bad, when I first put the parts together it would not POST or Boot. After reversing the slots that the memory were seated in, it POSTed and booted fine.

analog

For your audio issues:

If the case has 2 audio connectors (AC97 and HD Audio) make sure that you have connected the AC97 connector to the motherboard header.

In the bios, (Award or AMI?) look in, probably, Advanced/Audio and make sure that the controller is enabled and that "Front Panel Type" is set to AC97.

msawyer91

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably spend tomorrow evening trying out the Network and Hard drive suggestions. Regarding the network issues, there are two LAN ports on the Mobo, however I have one disabled. I wonder if it is getting confused somehow... There is also a Wifi header on the board, but I do not have the little wifi card attached to the header. The memory could very well be bad, when I first put the parts together it would not POST or Boot. After reversing the slots that the memory were seated in, it POSTed and booted fine.

If you have a network adapter disabled, it shouldn't get confused. Plain and simple. If you disabled the adapter in the BIOS, it shouldn't show up in the OS at all. If you disabled it in the OS, then it should remain that way. I've never seen a case where one adapter is enabled and the second disabled, and they flip-flopped--I would be shocked if they ever did.

You can also check to see if your network adapter(s) have firmware updates. I had problems with Dell PE2950 servers with the built-in Broadcom adapters when running Windows Server 2008 R2. Even though they were gigabit adapters connected to a gigabit switch, they were running on par with 56K dial-up. Dell finally released some firmware updates for the NICs, as well as newer drivers. AND, if you applied the firmware update, you HAD to upgrade the driver as well, otherwise the NICs stopped working completely. So I would definitely make sure you've got your firmware and drivers up to date.

Guest no-control

Couple of things

1. Considered that the audio jack itself is defective? If you can get audio everyway, except via the jack consider that jacks may be flat out broken.
  2. NIC issue may be in your router as well dbl check your router to make sure there isn't a reservation for the MAC address for these NICs (this used to be a WHS right?)
  3. If a clean install(with updates and proper drivers) results in whack behavour then the board could very well just be on its way out. Jetway is a second tier manufacturer so take that into consideration along with previous conditions this board was operating in (SFF Case?) Heat, over handling, static, trace damage can all lead to weird s#!t happening.

jvk
go into the Network and Sharing Center (I have Win 7 x64 as well), and go into Adapter Settings. Press Alt to make the menu bar appear, and then choose Advanced > Advanced Settings. This allows you to change the network adapter binding order. I moved the wired connection to the top--that makes Windows favor that connection over all others (the wireless connection by default was on top). If you have both wired and wireless connections in active use, you will want to do this. As for the hard drive, download HD Sentinel (www.hdsentinel.com). That is one of the best tools I've seen for checking disk health. It'll tell you the SMART attributes, whether or not you have bad sectors, etc. You certainly could have a bad mobo. I'm not familiar with Jetway so I don't know if they're good or bad.

Thanks, The network adapters were in the correct order so I think that might not be the issue. I downloaded HD Sentinal and it tell me that "1 errors occured during data transfer, this may indicate problem of the device or data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible".

I replaced the SATA cables for the DVD drive and HDD and still have the same error message in HS Sentinal, but everything else shows up as excellent.

For your audio issues: If the case has 2 audio connectors (AC97 and HD Audio) make sure that you have connected the AC97 connector to the motherboard header. In the bios, (Award or AMI?) look in, probably, Advanced/Audio and make sure that the controller is enabled and that "Front Panel Type" is set to AC97.

Thanks for the tips, the Case has HDAudio connectors and I double checked that it is connected to the motherboard header properly. In BIOS the only audio related option is to enable/disable HDMI audio so I think that BIOS is not the audio culprit here...

So I would definitely make sure you've got your firmware and drivers up to date.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just went into device Manager and checked for new drivers, and it says all is good... hmmm

Couple of things
  1. Considered that the audio jack itself is defective? If you can get audio everyway, except via the jack consider that jacks may be flat out broken.
  2. NIC issue may be in your router as well dbl check your router to make sure there isn't a reservation for the MAC address for these NICs (this used to be a WHS right?)
  3. If a clean install(with updates and proper drivers) results in whack behavour then the board could very well just be on its way out. Jetway is a second tier manufacturer so take that into consideration along with previous conditions this board was operating in (SFF Case?) Heat, over handling, static, trace damage can all lead to weird s#!t happening.

This pc used to be an HTPC that connected to the network via wifi. Now that it is in the office, I have it connected to the network via LAN. You may very well be right that the audio line out jack is bad. The last time I used the line out was about a year ago and it very may well have gone bad since then. I also checked in the router to make sure that a MAC address wan't being reserved for the NIC card.

So I definetly think that my issues are hardware related. what I'll try next is switching out the memory in this machine with some other sticks and see if that aleviates my problems. I'll post what happens.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me with this, I owe everyone a beverage of their choice!

jvk

msawyer91

I replaced the SATA cables for the DVD drive and HDD and still have the same error message in HS Sentinal, but everything else shows up as excellent.

HD Sentinel generates that message from one or more of the SMART attributes on the hard drive. Many of these attributes are like an odometer on a car--you can't roll them back. Things like bad sectors, offline bad sectors, end-to-end errors, ultra DMA CRC errors, etc. are some examples of counters that can go up, but never come back down. The specific error you mentioned is one that is usually triggered by the ultra DMA CRC error count going up. That counter usually goes up either when you have a bad data cable, or you're using a USB enclosure that is not compatible with the host OS.

jvk

HD Sentinel generates that message from one or more of the SMART attributes on the hard drive. Many of these attributes are like an odometer on a car--you can't roll them back. Things like bad sectors, offline bad sectors, end-to-end errors, ultra DMA CRC errors, etc. are some examples of counters that can go up, but never come back down. The specific error you mentioned is one that is usually triggered by the ultra DMA CRC error count going up. That counter usually goes up either when you have a bad data cable, or you're using a USB enclosure that is not compatible with the host OS.

I'm going to say it was a bad cable... I'll be throwing away the cables that I pulled out. By the way, I just removed the memory and re-installed some old memory from a Dell Zino that I have. There are two memory slots in the board, and If I don't have the memory in the proper slot, it will not POST and not boot. Weird thing is that there is no mention anywhere which stick of memory should go where so you have a 50% chance of putting it in the correct slot. After re-installing the memory, the sound issue is still there and I am really thinking that this is just a bad board as NoControl says above.

Bummer

jvk

Zykor

Now for what ever reason I can not get any sound to come out of the Line Out or Headphone jack and I'm stuck. The line out port does not show up in the volume control options. The HDMI and SPDIF (digital audio) jacks work fine but the problem is that I need to plug in a pair of speakers.

I would verify the motherboard make/model and reinstall the latest sound drivers from the manufacturer. If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue you might goto the sound card chipset manufacturer and download their drivers (if possible). You can download and install the program "HWinfo" to determine the make and model of you motherboard.

Hope this helps....