RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 wont boot- Stuck at Loading Operating System

fredp1

Go into the BIOS and check the order of the boot drives. The RAID drive may be listed first and if it is, move it to the second spot.

• Like 1

Thx for the reply.

In my case the os and data are on the raid. The only option I can change is the boot order of the hard drive controllers. Since I only use one controller, will it change anything?

The otherthing that I noticed, since my problems started after kicking off a consistency check/rebuild was the server would boot with the install DVD inserted and the DVD drive set to boot before the hdd. Go figure?

OS and Data RAID are one? IMO, not a good practice especially on a server since you want the ability to blow away the OS and preserve the data.

Sounds like you have lost the boot partition and the OS is actually booting from the DVD in order to load the OS.

The OS is one 1 virtual disk Raid 1 (2x500G drives) and the data is on a second virtual disk raid 5 (3*2G drives) all of the one raid card. That should be fine?

I too thought I lost the boot partition, and I tried everything to recover it. Even after reinstalling the OS, it still refused to boot without an install disk in the dvd drive!!

I noticed when I unplugged the data drives, the server would boot. Then I decided to initialised the data virtual disk, that the server would boot without a install dvd drive... :o It was very weird and unbeleivable.

Anyway, I have it working now.... I'll try and break again just for laughs!

thx

Go into the BIOS and check the order of the boot drives. The RAID drive may be listed first and if it is, move it to the second spot.

Hi,

Just letting everyone know this problem is now solved. Thanks for your suggestion jmwillis :)

I had to go into the mb bios and set the hard disk boot order. I moved the Dell Perc raid card from 1st on the list to 2nd. (The "addin" cards are first on the list now.)

I don't understand it, as it was working for some time when the server decided not to boot and considering all my disks are connected to the raid card, having it first on the list seemed logical.

I try and post some benchmarks of the disks to show the advantage of the cache in the controller.

The only reason I mentioned that was becasue this summer I had a power supply go belly up in my desktop and once I replaced it I was getting a similar message. On a hunch, I looked in the BIOS and the one drive I use for data was now the 1st boot device instead of the 160 gig drive. I still not know how it got changed.

Glad to hear all is well.